Separates/Amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck Watwood, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Chuck Watwood

Chuck Watwood Stunt Coordinator

I just upgraded my system recently with a better receiver and better speakers. My system currently consists of an Onkyo TXSR800 receiver, Polk Speakers: RTi100's, Rti38's, CSi40, FXi30's, and an SVS 20-39PC +. I am thinking about going to separate amps and pre-pro. Any ideas on mid range stuff that can handle THX decoding, DTS, DD, etc. I could use my TXSR800 as a pre/pro. Probably would to start. Or would I be better off going to a dedicated pre/pro? How much would it cost me to get into separate amps? I would like something in the $1500-2500 price range if possible. I would need 7 channels since the PC+ has its own amp. Any recommendations on brands, pro's/con's, would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

OK Chuck!,

I have the Onkyo TX-DX 797. I think your system is the upgraded version of mine.

I have a 150 WPC 5-channel amp and use the onkyo as a pre/pro. I let the onkyo power the surrounds and the amp handle both mains, center, and both rear speakers.

It sounds GREAT!!!

However I am going to be getting the Denon 5800 or 5803 at 170 WPC x 7 channels as I am tired of all the equiptment(cables). I think if I had a dedicated HT room then seperates would not be a big deal as the room would be designed for it.

BTW my amp is an AMC 2n100-5 that got for $1,150. I think they can be found for much less. I also think you have 100 WPC going to the rear so I would just get a 3 or 5 channel amp for the other speakers.

Good luck!

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

The high dollar recievers are killing the inexpensive seperates market, too many bells and whistles on even less expensive recievers. Seperates used to be a way to upgrade your sound system 1 piece at a time for less money. IMO what the recievers have done is force the seperate Pre-Amps price and features up to a point where in order to out preform these "Heavy" recievers the price goes up with it.
    I havent seen a decent pre-amp (HT) for less than $1500 retail, there may be a few choices but not near as many as recievers in the same range. In the $2500-3500 range there are many recievers that perform very well. The same level of performance in seperates will cost you more. A good selection of Pre/Pros alone in this price range, put another $1500 for amps with it now we are talking.

4. Pat Wilshire

Pat Wilshire Auditioning

You might want to look at some used gear . . . . $1000 or thereabouts will get you a used Lexicon DC-1, fully loaded with the most current software (DD, DTS, THX-EX), and it is killer for home theater. (Music performance is somewhat lacking, but that's why God made little passive 2-channel preamps . . . . ;-0))

Then, with your remaining cash, pick up some used Rotel amps -- I've got an RB981 driving my fronts and an RB985THXMkII driving the center, sides, and rears. You should be able to get both amps for no more than $1000 here or on Audiogon. Add in some cabling and shipping, sell your current receiver, and you're in way under $2500 with a system that will stomp all over your Onkyo.

5. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Pat,
    What Pre/Pro are you using, my set-up is just like yours (same amps, set-up the same) I use a Marantz AV9000 and NHT Super Ones at all 5 positions even center. I love the sound, the 981 in particular is one amp that amazes me. A $600 amp that you see for sell pulling $400 at 5 years old, looks a lot like B&K.

6. Chuck Watwood

Chuck Watwood Stunt Coordinator

Pat,

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I hadn't even thought about buying used amps. From what I have read, these amps last forever. Thanks for the input and this fall, when I have the money, I am going to buy at least a 3 channel amp to power the fronts and center channels. Should be a big improvement from what I have read.

7. Red Spencer

Red Spencer Agent

Go Rotel One of the best values in high end. Do a little research and I'm sure you'll find this true. The RSP 1066 excellent pre/pro for the price.

8. Pat Wilshire

Pat Wilshire Auditioning

Guy --

Obviously, great minds think alike -- along with my Lexicon DC-1, I'm also using all NHT speakers. I've got a pair of 2.3As for mains, a pair of 1.3As wired in parallel for the center, a pair of 2.1s in the rear, and a pair of SuperZeros for sides, with an SW2P subwoofer.

I'm also happy with the sound of the 981, but I'm planning to upgrade -- it has a good sound, but it just doesn't have enough current to drive the 2.3As to nice high levels without getting congested -- those speakers are a 4 ohm load and REALLY power hungry. I'm thinking about something like an uprgraded McCormack DNA-1 or something like that.

With an easier speaker load, though, I don't think I'd ever see much need to improve beyond the 981!

9. Pat Wilshire

Pat Wilshire Auditioning

Chuck --

Sounds like a plan! Believe me, you won't be disappointed in the difference that real power amps can make, as opposed to a receiver!