What's new

Separate Wireless Rear Speakers (1 Viewer)

Holeshot

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hello all!

I'm in a search for a decent home theater system.

Trouble is - my floor plan that I will use it is open concept and all hardwood floors.

I'm in need of a wireless rear speaker system.

Added problem: The two rear speakers must be separate wireless as that they are on opposite sides of the room (obviously) and there are walk ways to the kitchen and dining room where the wires would lie.

I looked at the Sony systems and almost ordered something........but they all had one central wireless receiver and then go wired anyhow.
No good for me.

How do I make this work for my needs?

I have a power supply (120V) available for each rear speaker location.

Thanks!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Steve,

Wireless rear speakers are a frequent question on this forum. First of all as you have found out most so called wireless systems are not wireless as they require AC power and speaker wires to connect the wireless receiver to your surround speakers, Their are a few company's that make battery powered satellites but they tend to be of low quality sound wise and the batteries have to be replaced about every 8 hours.

Their are many ways to hide wires rooms with hard wood floors. One method is to use special flat wire that can be concealed under or along baseboards or on the wall just above base boards.

I don't know what you mean by a decent home theater system or what your budget is. Sony makes great TV but I had looked at those Sony wireless HTib. In addition to mediocre sound the receiver lacked many of the connection types most consumers are looking for. It's the way the manufactures are able to keep the costs down. Let us know what your budget is any I am sure others can give you some better recommendations than going with a Sony HTib,

Holeshot

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Bill

I was rather thinking somebody was going to say that.....

In my case there is no way to hide or tuck in the wires to get them out of the way.
I would have to tear up my pine hardwood floor in two spots to get the wires under it.

Oh well......

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
A search of Amazon did turn up this wireless option, where at least it seems each speaker has it's OWN power adapter and built-in receiver (so no need for them to be wired to a single powered receiver), so it MIGHT work in your situation. I doubt the quality will be much to write home about (the Amazon reviews aren't promising), but it's better than nothing...

Alternatively, rather than routing speaker wires near or under the floor, have you considered running the wires high? If there's no attic access above the room, there are some nice crown moulding options that provide another means of hiding speaker wires.

I know that sounds like more of a project than you were anticipating, but if decent to good performance is a goal, you'll have to find some way to use wired speakers.

conuronton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
my first thoughts are to run wires in the wall. what is above and below the locations for the rears? (crawl space, finished/unfinished basement,

attic) No doubt, there are many retrofit applications that are a "sealed crypt", but a lot are not! Like someone mentioned, side walls are preferred, but you can also consider in ceiling and rear wall if wiring dictates....

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Jason,

Those Audiovox speakers didn't get very good reviews at Amazon. From what I read they have to be connected to a preamp line out rather than the speaker terminals as found in the Rockfish. This may make them difficult to use for surround speakers in a 5.1 system. These are similar to a cheep set I use on my deck as a Zone 2. The sound is OK for back ground music and the speaker units have to be frequently adjusted. But I would never use them as part of a 5.1 surround system. With all the advancements in wireless computer networks you figure someone would apply that technology a quality speaker transmission system.

Curt,

I would continue to look at finding a hard wire solution to your problem. I have lived in many houses in the past 40 years and have always found a way to deal with speaker wire challenges. If a quality system is your goal you are going to be much happier going that way.

Holeshot

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
My daughter's bedroom is above.......so that's out.

I do have crown all the way around the room - and it would have to be taken down and put back up again......wow....that's more work than I was hoping for.

I believe I will have to be satisfied with having only front speakers.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Rather than messing with crown molding I would work for a solution with your baseboard molding. You might try carefully prying it away from the wall and running flat wire in back of the molding. If you cannot pry it off without damaging the molding you can replace it. Places like HD and Lowe's have white plastic type molding that is cheaper than wood and can be cut with a chop saw and you don't have to paint it. I have replaced much of the molding in my house and working with base boards is much easier and quicker than crown as you don't have those multiple angles to cut and fit on uneven walls and ceilings.

homer2121

Grip
Real Name
Scott
Have you thought of using pillars as an option? You could get some nice looking pillars and mount speakers or even inset them into the pillars to hide the wires and run the wires in the ceiling. I am also going to build an open home theatre room and I think that is what I might do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks