Separate partition for a swap (page) file?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasenP, Mar 4, 2003.

1. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I just re-installed Windows XP after a rather nasty unknown problem and I decided to start fresh. I have 1gb of DDR RAM, an 80gb hard drive and two 80gb HDs on my RAID 0 array. I created 3 partitions on my main 80gb hard drive: 20gb for the system and program files, 1.5gb partition for my swap (page) file and the rest is for file storage.

I haven't used any memory intensive programs yet, but will I benefit from creating a separate partition for my swap file? Also, Windows likes to tell me that the drive for my swap file is getting full, is there a way to shut that off?

Thanks!

BTW:
    Partition Magic is worth the $70 I paid for it!!

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

There's little point in creating a separate partition for the pagefile unless it's on a different physical drive on a different IDE channel to the main HD.

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Rob

Are you saying there is no benefit in creating a separate partition? Only a separtae drive on a different IDE channel would work? IS it worth the effort?

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I'm not saying there's no benefit at all, just very little! I suppose there is the question of fragmentation (which wont be an issue if the file is on it's own partition) but using a statically sized pagefile should sort that out anyway.

So basically, it's not worth it.

Placing the swap on another drive however will reap certain benefits - but whether you'll really notice them is another matter entirely. 1gb of RAM is quite a lot, though XP will continue to use the pagefile in some capacity even before the physical RAM is exhausted. I run a separate swap partition on my second physical drive of my main machine, but whether it actually makes any difference or not - not sure. Certainly nothing to lose sleep over.

5. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Windows will always use swap file, and that's actually fine since most of it is "unused" or not needed in a high performance sense.

If you want to reap the most performance benefits throw your swap file on your RAID 0 array, that will improve the read/write times when the system does go to swap. As mentioned, the performance benefit will probably be so small that you won't notice it, but that would be the best way to hook it up.

And ALWAYS make your swap file a static size, common rule of thumb is 2x your memory as well, although if you dump 1GB into a desktop machine you can easily get away with 1.5x swap size. But nothing will fragment a drive faster than having a swap that changes size on the HD all the time.

Andrew

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

7. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Ummmm, he's using RAID 0 which is a striped set not a mirrored set.

Andrew

8. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

There is no icon large enough to show my blushing in this case.

I'm going back to sleep now.

:b

9. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

okay, I'm going to step in on this one here. . . it is actually a good idea to make a page file on it's own partition. it is better for it to be on it's own drive, but lacking a second drive then it's own partition will surfice.

how? well that is easy, you *must* make the swap file partition first so that it uses the outermost section of your harddrive. if you partition it anyother time it won't work properly and will be worthless. this means, partition magic won't be the best route, since you'll want to do up the partition when the hardrive is completly un-partitioned to ensure that the first gig of the hardrive is used and nowhere else.

now fo the why, the outside of the platter on any harddrive will be the fastest, basic physics and proven benchmarking constant angular velocity of the platter means that the head will pick up the most data on the outside and the least on the inside per unit time. forcing the swapfile to reside on only the outside will make sure that the swap file is has the fastest read write times possible for that hardrive which will pick up your performance, of course by a small margin but every little bit does help.

10. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

11. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

12. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Thanks everyone for your help. The partition will remain for now and I do intend on getting a second non-RAID hd soon but I am running out of space in my case AND I'm sure a larger power supply will be in order.