Sensurround titles released on DVD..

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Strang, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I dug out my old Goodtimes video copy of Earthquake this weekend and we had some fun. Yeah sure the low frequency effects were cheesy but considering the time it was pretty cool.

I saw Battlestar Galatica (late 70's) at the theater when I was a kid and it had Sensurround (I guess it was still called that). Does the DVD have it?

Does anyone know if any other DVDs were release with Sensurround audio on the sub track?

Thanks a bunch.

2. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Yes, the Battlestar Galactica DVD has a 1.1 track. (Mono w.LFE track) along with the DVD releases of Rollercoaster and Midway. The latest Earthquake DVD from Universal offers a 3.1 Sensurround track (that is said to be somewhat lacking) along with a new 5.1 remix.

3. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

The 5.1 audio on the new Earthquake DVD sounds much better to my ears than the 3.1 Sensurround track. There is quite a bit more bass in the 5.1 channel mix.

My only exposure to Sensurround in an actual theater was the trailer for Battlestar Galactica when I was about 8 years old. Man was I ever impressed with how much the theater vibrated when the low frequencies kicked in. Unfortunately I never got to see the entire movie in the theater.

4. John Kwong

John Kwong Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I saw all 3 movies during their theatrical run. I remember being blown away by the "Sensurround" effects in Earthquake, but less so for Midway. As for Battlestar Galactica, I really don't remember this movie being in "Sensurround".

5. Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc Stunt Coordinator

My God, do I feel old.

I saw BSG in theaters in 1979 when I was 10 in Sensurround in the Detroit area. I have newspaper clippings of the theater ads all proclaiming "In Sensurround". It was my favorite show.

The effect was basically sh*tloads of subwoofer very VERY loud. I think todays movies are better balanced than it was done back then.

I bought the DVD (it was my first) and was unable to duplicate the effect at home. The 1.1 track is not very good and can't seem to reproduce the same rumble I experienced 27 years ago.

The rumble of the Galactica and the thrust of a passing Viper was quite impressive in the theater, at least to a 10 year old.

Here is the "full list" of movies shown in Sensurround (from the 'net):
    Battlestar Galactica
    Earthquake
    Midway
    Rollercoaster
    Zoot Suit

6. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I looked at the case of my Midway DVD (snapper version) and it said mono only with no sub track. Haven't tried playing it yet though.

7. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

The official Universal release of Midway has the DD 1.1 track. Is your copy a Goodtimes version..?

8. Mark Oates

Mark Oates Supporting Actor

I saw BSG with my family at the Princess Cinema on its original engagement. My Mum happened to go to the Ladies' during the battle sequence. At that point where the Cylon fighter piles into one of the Galactica's nacelle hangars and explodes, she says the door to the auditorium was sucked open by the air being shovelled around by the subwoofers.

I used to have a hi-fi setup with terrific speakers for bass response. A party piece was to stand a candle in front of one of the bass-reflex ports and have the Cincinnati Pops blow it out by playing the main theme from "Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves".

[/reminiscence mode]

9. Patrick.C

Patrick.C Second Unit

My brother and I saw BSG in the theater "in sensurround". They brought in huge speakers and mounted them in the back corners of the theater, which gave it the appearance of a Motley Crue concert stage in the 80's. We sat directly in front of the speakers in the back thinking it was cool at the time. Of course, we probably experienced permanent hearing loss that day...

When I started shopping for movie posters to hang in my theater, one of these was an early purchase:

[​IMG]

10. Mark Oates

Mark Oates Supporting Actor

What do you reckon the aborted 1976 version of King Kong in Sensurround would have been like?

11. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Huh?

Sensurround was a trademarked UNIVERSAL process. King Kong was a Paramount production. I never heard it was considered for sensurround.