Sensio 3D device: Jaws 3-D? Friday the 13th 3-D? Dial "M" For Murder? House Of Wax?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Mar 20, 2003.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I saw this mentioned in passing on "another forum", and thought I'd bring it up here as well:

The below was taken from the 1/8/03 Press Release at WWW.SENSIO.TV, based on their unveiling at the most recent CES show:

2. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

You know David, I have always trusted you in your post and I will in this one as well. If this is so true, this is great because these films are crying for proper releases...I would be more than willing to invest into them.[​IMG]

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    wouldnt it be great to see 3-d movies at home!!!

by the way david that sensio link has a comma in it at the end.

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

The Sensio system is basically similar to field sequential 3-D systems that have been around for some time...with one major improvement. They say that is is especially suited and compatible with HD material.

If this pans out, it could be a great thing. It is possible that a lot of the studios are taking a wait and see approach to 3-D; prefering to wait for much better quality technology which is just around the corner. Maybe HD-DVD rollout will take us over the 3-D edge.

I don't think they've got any licenses in place for any of those films though. They might be trying to pitch the studios on the idea, but we need to remember what were are hearing from them now are press releases and sales pitches.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Thanks Tony...fixed!

I agree that this is mostly a pitch. I'm not so sure they are actually working THEMSELVES to bring these films out on DVD (or any other format), as much as they are assuring the home user that they would have access to playing those films...IF the studios that owned them put them out in a 3-D format.

If you read between the lines, that's all he's saying. He in no way says outright that the Sensio company is dealing directly with the studios that own the named properties. He merely assures us that they "are making sure that retailers and consumers will have access to the best 3D movies from a library of approximately 150 existing titles on film". In this case, I read "access to" as being synonymous with "ability to play". Also stress that he said "on film", and not "available now or shortly on DVD".

I'm sure he WANTS us to infer that they are for-sure coming. It helps his marketing, right? But don't let anything in my post fool you into thinking it's a for-sure thing.

In fact, my first thought upon reading this and seeing Ft13th-3D listed was, "Wow...I wonder if Martin knows that they 'committed' him to this!" [​IMG] :wink:

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

There is no mention about price for the system. It looks like we're talking about late this year at the earliest - if ever. Don't hold your breath![​IMG]

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

How does it work? LCD glasses that act like a "shutter" to only show one field at a time? How would this work with a progressive-scan display that does 3-2 pulldown?

-dave

8. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

9. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

There's a spec breakdown on the site at

http://www.sensio.tv/en/specs/specsheet.jpg

If you read through the lines throughout the site, it would appear that the system only works with projectors not tube TVs and Progressive Scan DVD players must be switched over to 'interlace' in order for it to work.

It's a very clever press release, but it's extremely vague.

You'll notice that they mention that available titles to the consumer 'will include films SUCH AS' DIAL M FOR MURDER, HOUSE OF WAX and FRIDAY THE 13TH 3-D. Obviously there's no deal in place for any of these films. It's even mentioned further down that the company is 'continuing to build relationships with studios such as...' Nowhere are Paramount and Warner bros. listed, who are the owners of those titles.

I've heard it works great and I truly hope it's a successful launch and that hundreds of 3-D films are available in an HDTV format. It's going to take years though
    for it to reach even vaguely reasonable prices and if they can't get a solid library of software, then they're dead.

10. Torquil

Torquil Agent

how about this for expanding your 3d library - 3DPlus from soft4d does a reaonably good job of generating depth from existing 2d DVDs. The website is a slow piece of crap, but the product does actually work - it works very well on tracking shots (where I'm guessing it just works out that objects in the background move slower than the foreground so adjusts the "depth"). Only works on a PC with 3d LCD glasses at mom - but surely could generate real-time 3d for the Sensio (guess) in the future (and by the time it becomes affordable by the masses).

I read some terrible reviews of it, but it is worth checking out for a taste of the future IMHO.

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor