Sennheiser HD600 Headphones with Denon AVR-5803 Dolby Headphone: Need Headphone Amp??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne Reibold, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Wayne Reibold

Wayne Reibold Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the process of buying a Denon AVR-5803 receiver that includes Dolby Headphone capability and a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones and am wondering if I'll need a separate headphone amp to get great sound out of this setup.

If people who own the HD600s and a headphone amp of reasonable cost (say under $350) can comment on recommendations and where to get the best price (e.g., online retailer) for the headphone amp if it's believed I would greatly benefit from one with the AVR-5803, I'd love to hear about it.

Also, I'm going to need a 25' cord for the headphones (I have a LARGE living room). From what I've read, the cord included with the HD600 is pretty flimsy and since I need a longer run I'm thinking replace the whole thing with one long 25' cable. If anyone can make recommendations on make/model and where to buy (e.g., online) a good quality 25' headphone cable that will work with the Sennheiser HD600s, I'd appreciate that info as well.

Thanks in advance!

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Check out the following sites:
    http://www.headphone.com/
    http://www.headwize.com/
    I have the HD-580, which is pretty close to the 600. They were fine off the output of an NAD c340, but not so great off most receiver jacks I tried. Not sure how good the Denon 5803 jack is. I felt like my older Denon 1700 was adequate for the 580s, but not optimal, like the c340 was.
    A decent headphone amp is a good investment if you'll be doing a lot of late night listening, etc.

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

My HD-580 works wll off my Denon 380x jack so I would suspect you would have no problem with the 5803.

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I'm curious about the same thing. I'm onboard for a 5803 too. March 11th supposedly. I don't think i'll use headphones a whole lot however, i don't have a pair now so, i can't really say how much i'd use them. I did purchase a pair of HD 600's a few months ago but, i returned them. I had to do to much hoop jumping to activate the headphone input on my B&K AVR-307. I wonder if on the 5803 we'll be able to simply plug into the jack and have the speakers stop outputting. Hmmm...

Having said that, what other headphones are decent? I actually found the HD 600's lacking bass and on the bright side. My ears couldn't take it. Any suggestion's?

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    You don't need an amp. It will probably sound better with a good one however. My 580's run very loud off my mid line yamaha. In fact the 300ohm senns played much louder at a specific volume than some older sony's I had.

Do a search for the sennheisers and you will find lots of info.

6. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

IMHO, I wouldn't spend the extra money on the 600's. The 580's are EXACTLY the same except for the materials making up the headphone itself. The 580's a are plastic while the 600's are something more exotic. People say the different material makes the 600's sound a 'bit' better. The internals of the headphones are the same.

I got my 580's on UBid for something like $110.00

7. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

for the headphone extension cord you should probably go with 2 15ft grado cables.

8. Dan Cabral

Dan Cabral Stunt Coordinator

Shawn C> I have the 600's, and I just bought my dad a pair of 580's. Whether or not the internals are "the same" as you claim, I'm not sure, but I can certainly notice a difference between the two. My dad's hearing isn't quite as good as mine, but he said they sounded slightly different to him as well.

The 600's sound much more mellow and natural, while the 580's have a slight harshness to them that smooths out somewhat with break-in, but not to the point of the 600's (IMHO).

If you can afford the 600's AND have the hearing to discern the difference AND good equipment to drive them, go for the 600's. You won't be sorry.

If you're just looking for a great set of cans on a budget, you really can't go wrong with the 580's.