Sennheiser HD600 Headphones with Denon AVR-5803 Dolby Headphone: Need Headphone Amp??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne Reibold, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Wayne Reibold

Wayne Reibold Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the process of buying a Denon AVR-5803 receiver that includes Dolby Headphone capability and a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones and am wondering if I'll need a separate headphone amp to get great sound out of this setup.

If people who own the HD600s and a headphone amp of reasonable cost (say under $350) can comment on recommendations and where to get the best price (e.g., online retailer) for the headphone amp if it's believed I would greatly benefit from one with the AVR-5803, I'd love to hear about it.

Also, I'm going to need a 25' cord for the headphones (I have a LARGE living room). From what I've read, the cord included with the HD600 is pretty flimsy and since I need a longer run I'm thinking replace the whole thing with one long 25' cable. If anyone can make recommendations on make/model and where to buy (e.g., online) a good quality 25' headphone cable that will work with the Sennheiser HD600s, I'd appreciate that info as well.

Thanks in advance!

2. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Check out www.headfi.com and www.headwize.com - big community of 'phoneheads there. Personally I am using an X-Cans headphone amp from musical fidelity ($250), which I like quite a bit. And Cardas Cable is coming out with a replacement cord for the Senny's pretty soon, I am sure it will be sturdier than the stock cord . . .

3. Pete_Jr

Pete_Jr Stunt Coordinator

I have the Denon 4800 Receiver and a pair of HD600's and they sound great. I also was wondering about the amp but kept thinking "They can't sound any better".

headwize.com is definetly the place to go and I have read all there is to read about which amp is best for these cans.

Everyone seems to agree that a tube amp is the way to go. MG Head is highly regarded from divertech.com. If you don't want to mess with tubes Creek amps are also mentioned alot.

I have never heard these with a amp but playing off the Denon is pure listening pleasure, you won't be disappointed. I probably would have bought the amp too see if I was missing anything but went with the sub for the home theater instead. Happy listening!!

Pete_Jr