Sennheiser HD590 headphones or other

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gil D, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I need a new pair of headphones. I've had a pair of closed Sony's for some time that are getting a bit ragged.

It seems the 580's are highly recommended but difficult to find. Are the 590's the replacement and are they considered to be improved ver the 580's?

Also, I'm not familiar with the open-air design. Does this mean that other people in the room can hear them quite loudly and find it rather annoying. Which other products would be comparable alternatives at under $200.

Thanks.

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Gil: I am considering getting the HD600s for $232.

How are you gonna drive your headphones? If you are just using a headphone out from a receiver, you must consider the ohmage of the headphone. At 300 ohms, no headphone output will drive the HD600s. At least that's what I've been told???

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I have the 570's and I really like them. A friend of mine has 600's and they are noticeably better. FWIW...

Martin.

4. Rob Braden

Rob Braden Auditioning

I've got the HD600s - really fantastic headphones, but you'll really need a headphone amp to drive them properly (unless your equipment already has a good headphone section - most manufacturers choose to skimp in this area, it seems.) The same goes for the 580s. I'm not sure about the 590s, I haven't auditioned them, but I've heard that they're a bit bright and not as good as the 580s. The 580s are still available around the net.
    All of those 'phones are open, which means that people around you can hear what you're listening to, depending on the volume and the ambient noise, and you can hear what's going on around you.
    http://www.head-fi.org is a great headphone resource, as is http://www.headwize.com
    -Rob

5. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

The 580 and the 600s are the way too go. I own the 580s and tried the 590s. The 590s were acually harder for my reciever to power than the higher ohm 580s. The bass on the 590s was also a bit overbearing for my tastes.

6. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

7. Sam C

Sam C Stunt Coordinator

I own the 580's ... They're great ... They can be found all the time on Ebay Brand New for under 150 ... I also remember someone saying Jr's had them for 69 bucks ...

8. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Gil, I have Senns HD580 and I love them. The headphone out of my Onkyo 595 receiver drives them great. I bought mine from Headroom (www.headphone.com). Real nice people to deal with. Ordered them on Weds at 5PM, and they arrived via FedX noon on Friday. I also have a pair of Grado SR80s that I use at the office. They are terrific headphones for only $90 IMO (get the comfy earpads for $10 from Grado or $2.49 at Radio Shack).
    Regards, Nick

9. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Ken S,

I have a Denon 3801 and a Sony C555es sacd changer. I was planning to use the output on the Sony. Looking at the Sony spec it mentions Load impedance greater than 10Kohm.

I have Sony MDR-V6 'phones right now and both the Denon and Sony have no problem driving them. I don't really want to have to get a headphone amp.

How much are the AKG going for and is the tonality the same as the Senn.

Nick,

Are the Grado's closed design and how do they compare to to the 580's. Can I get the Grado's at RS?

Thanks,

Gil

10. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Gil, the Grado SR80s are an open design. I purchased them at a Cambridge Soundworks store. Headroom also sells them. The 580s are fuller and are richer sounding to me. Also a tad more laid back. Detailed without being harsh. That being said, the 80s are very good and the differeces are small. If I was on a budget I would be very happy with them. The 580s are just a bit more refined to my ears. Hope this helps.

Regards, Nick

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Well, I just couldn't hold out any longer. I just bought a new pair of HD-600s. They'll get here on Friday. A few others, on the Headphone forum, said that I was nuts to change from my current Stax Gamma to the Senn HD600. I wasn't so sure. Stereophile had the Stax rated as a B recommneded component in 1993 and now lists the HD600 as an A component. So, I just decided that I'd get the HD600s and A/B them both, and then sell the one that I like less....[​IMG]

12. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i own a pair of HD580's and they are magnificent! i got them for $180 shipped direct from Germany. email me and i'll pass along the guy's name that handles it all. this is about the best price you can get where the warranty will still be valid!
    i personally dont like Grados; my brother once owned a pair that actually hurt my ears to wear. the Senns are so comfy you can go to sleep in them (as i have done many a time [​IMG]).

13. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    forgot to add that most people consider the "replacement" 590's to be a step down from the 580's. i dont see why they decided to replace them...if it's not broke, dont fix it!

14. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I got a pair of the 580's off ebay for $150 from seller hififorless brand new. They are superb and No, you do not NEED a headphone amp to drive them. A normal receiver will do just fine. If fact they play louder at the same volume point than some older sony's I had even though the senns are 300 ohm. Heck, they even sound good on my portable sony discman. I haven't heard the 600's but suposedly they kill any other set of phones available.

15. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Gil,
    The AKGs have a little less bass than the Sennheiser HD-600s, but then again they cost less than half as much. Also, if a sealed design will be a requirement, that's pretty much rule out the Senn HD-580 and HD-600s anyway. The AKGs really do sound great, though, and they're a lot more comfortable than Grado.
    The AKG 240 seems to be going for about $120, although www.headphone.com has the AKG 500 on sale for the same price right now.
    If you can deal with an open design, I really love the comfort and sound of the Sennheisers. I agree with the comment about buying them from Germany. The list price of Sennheisers in the U.S. is much higher than Europe. Thanks to the miracle of the Internet, buying from such European retailers as www.musiciansgear.com is pretty easy. As a point of reference, the HD-600s list for $450 in the U.S., they usually sell for $350, and www.headphone.com has them on sale for $299. Musicians Gear is selling them for $198.
    If you want to read some brief descriptions of different models and compare some prices, go to http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...n=listProducts

16. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I had an opportunity to try the Senn HD590 and HD600. While I like the sound of the HD600 I found it a bit uncomfortable. They seem to apply a bit too much pressure around the ears due to the spring tensioned headband. Does the HD580 have the same headband and ear cushions as the 600? The store did not carry them.

The HD590 was very comfortable but overall I preferred the sound of the HD600 a bit more. If the HD580 had less tension or more adjustability in the headband and hopefully sounded the same as the 600, I'd get them.

17. Rob Braden

Rob Braden Auditioning

Gil,
    Mine were a little tight for the first few days, but loosened up pretty quickly. They're extremely comfortable now, I hate to take them off. [​IMG]
    While you don't *need* a headphone amp (except out of most portables) to drive the HD580/600, in my experience a good amp beats the headphone jack in most equipment in terms of sound quality. I'm using the Creek OBH11SE and it sounds great with my HD600s. I've got an MG Head on order, can't wait to get it.
    --Rob

18. John Morris

John Morris Guest

19. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Rob,

Thanks for the input on the headband. I'll definitly go for the 580/600. Are the HD600 superior to the 580 to justify the extra $? I have seen some comments about the drivers being identical.

If I got the pricing from Musician's Gear correct the HD600 costs US$172.25 (no tax) and shipping ranges from $35-40 including duty. Two week delivery seems a bit long though. Does anyone have experience with this etailer and know if they are reputable.

Gil

20. John Morris

John Morris Guest

If this is Jan Meier's shop in Germany; then many folks can swear by it. I just couldn't wait that long...