Sennheiser HD433 headphones - Anyone know anything about them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne A. Pflughaupt, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hello everyone,

I hope this is the correct Forum for this – we don’t have a headphone section!

I’m looking for some headphones for my 11-year-old daughter. She complains that the cheapie headphones that came with her portable CD player sound “fuzzy” (i.e., distortion) and they have no bass. Yup, I’m raising her right!

Anyway, I have a chance to pick a Sennheiser HD433 headphone set pretty cheap, and I’m wondering if they’re any good. I’ve always been a fan of Sennheiser (I’ve had several of their mid-priced sets over the years) and I’ve always liked the way they sound.

So, has anyone here ever used the 433’s? We’re not looking for audiophile quality here. Just something decent sounding that’s efficient enough to get some good volume with a portable CD player. Some of the Sennheisers I’ve had don’t get a lot of volume with a portable, so this is a major concern.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

2. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I just got the 497's for around 40-50$ from etronics and they are absolutely incredible! Of course I"m not sure about hte 433, they're probably a step or two down from teh 497, but I'm sure they'll still blow away the 50 cent headphones they package with CD players. Bass is really excellent and full, but not boomy at all, could have a little more oomp sometimes maybe, but I think that's more that my CD player is a cheap one and doesn't power the signal very well. I'm using these for listening from a portable Cd player btw, and I can say that my CDs have never sounded better, I'm hearing new things so clearly that I never heard before. One song in particular has a strong bass guitar line throughout (that you can clearly hear and feel), and this little occasional very high 'ting' like from a very high pitched triangle. I'd never noticed it before, but with these headphones it comes through very clearly. My only complaint is that the plugs into the actual earpiece have a tendancy to not stay in if the wire gets caught on something, at least one will pop out if the wire is tugger slightly more than gently, and occasionally I think there's not a quite tight grip on the earpiece plugs, because I'll have to adjust the plug every now and then. Two hours listening is no sweat, they're very comfortable, but I they might dwarf a child's ears, dunno how that would work.

Sennheiser is definitely an extremely good brand, I never knew headphones could sound this good.

Adam

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have never been disappointed with any pair of Sennheisers I've owned. Even their least expensive ones are better than average.

5. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

i have a pair of HD433s. i paid 15 dollars for them. they are worth 15 dollars. probably not any more than that though. they don't sound that great, and they aren't very comfortable, but they are better than the headphones supplied with portables.

6. Jonathan K

Jonathan K Stunt Coordinator

7. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

You might want to look at the Grado SR-60's. The run about $60-$70 and have gotten great reviews.
    Here are some links:
    www.audioadvisor.com
    Have a look at
    this thread too.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Thanks for all the replies. I’m not as concerned for sound quality, since it will be for my daughter. However, since Michelle likes to hear her CDs in the car sometimes when we’re playing our own on the stereo, I think the open air design is the deal breaker. Thanks for the tip, Rob.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

If you're looking for a sealed design, Sennheiser makes the HD212 and HD202 in the