Senior members, how, if any, has your posting here changed you?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    When I say senior members, I mean those with 2000 or more posts.
    Do you find that you are a lot more patient, calm, and mature in your posting and how you deal with others in general since you first joined the HTF?
    For me, I would definatly say that I have changed since joining. When I first joined I was more aggressive, and at times out of line, especially my very first post:b, it actually caught the attention of Ron, and not in a positive way either. Looking back on what I said, I am damn surprised to still be here!
    I have now amassed almost 3K posts, and I find that now that i'm familliar with the way things work around here, I know when to press an issue, and more importantly, when to back off and just plain shut the hell up! [​IMG] I have gotten myself into a very comfortable rythym in my postings I think, and can easily talk to the other members and come accross as myself and not pretend to be smarter than I actually am.
    Posting here has also helped me in my daily life in general in a couple of ways...
    1. I have learned to be a better typest as a result of posting here, sure I could type before I joined, but I hunted and pecked a lot more than I do now.
    2. Also, and this is what i'm most greatful for, the way I present myself here has spilled over into how I deal with people in person as well. In short, because of this forums strict policies on treating others with patience and respect, it has conditioned me to be more patient with people when I speak to them in my daily life, not that I didn't before, but i've become more tolerable of people I think.
    Some of that may sound absurd, but you must understand that this forum was my first experience with the internet, well actually it was in the 'DVD Resource Page', but that was right before it went down so I don't really count that, I only had a handful of posts there. And it was also my fist time interacting with a large group of people in quite some time, since school actually.
    When I joined, my social skills were for shit! [​IMG]
    In closing, I must say that i'm very thankful for the lessons i've learned here, even the bad ones, they've made me a better person both here, and in the world I think.
    Thanks Home Theater Forum. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I've found that I have talked less and less about The Iron Giant.

~T

3. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

I have found that it is a lot easier to get hot women![​IMG]
    *Runs away as someone notices post count*

4. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Hi John!
    Yes I have matured myself since I first joined, I have become way more relaxed and passive, I just don't sweat the small shit anymore, although I will indulge in a good OAR debate! Oh, there was the one time in the midst of my seniority and maturity that I logged on after putting a few brews down(I usually don't drink) and posted something obscene and got banned for a while :b you probably remember that.
    Other than that I am a lot more reserved and less argumentative than I used to be, unless it is necessary during a good OAR debate! Even then I always follow the rules.
    I always have and always will love the HTF!
    A big thanks from me too HTF!!! [​IMG]

6. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

How has this forum changed me? Well, I'm not sure if this is a direct result of my participation here, but I have become much more opinionated since I joined. I used to be a very wishy-washy, Oh-I-could-see-it-both-ways kind of guy. Now I'm much more apt to take a stand on something, be it related to home theater, politics, life, and any other facet of the world that polarizes people. I suppose the necessity of voicing opinions and the need to back it up with convinction forces you to take sides.

Has this made me a better person? I think so. Being able to define your beliefs makes it easier to understand yourself and relay that persona to other people. So in that way, I've benefited.

Thankfully, I don't think I have lost my ability to listen and learn when appropriate. I would hate to become one of those people who thinks he knows everything and holds it over people like piano hanging on a thin rope. Being opinionated is one thing, but being opinionated while being patient, tolerant, and smart takes you into another league altogether.

7. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    [​IMG]

8. Rain

Rain Producer

Well, I've only been here for just over a year, but I've learned so much about the topics we discuss here. Probably more than I could have learned elsewhere in the same space of time. And there is still so much more to learn!
    I've also made some great friends here on HTF. I won't name names, but they know who they are. [​IMG]
    I love you guys.
    I think I've also become a little less obnoxious and opinionated since I've joined HTF. Oh yeah, I'll still go to town defending my opinions, but now I'm also much more willing to listen to other peoples' opinions.
    All in all, a pretty terrific experience so far. And the party's only just begun. [​IMG]

9. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I've only been here two years and in that time I've slowly come to realise what a bunch of wonderful people a few of you are.[​IMG]
    Yes I fell in love with 0.1 per cent of you last summer, I think it was during that freak mid-July heatwave we had in London, anyway sometimes I just want to reach out and and and give you all a great big bear hug, but seriously I've come a long way from the intelligent serious poster I was in 2000, now I have a program set up which randomly throws words together and spits them into threads on the forum, and no ones noticed the difference, amazing![​IMG]
    Now I want all you peeps to hug your monitors and give it a good sloppy kiss, come on, you know you want to, and no tongues![​IMG]
    PLANT KISS HERE = [----------]
    POSTED BY MAXIMUS ERECTUS

10. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Damn, now there's drool running down my monitor. Hey, I'm a sloppy kisser! [​IMG]
    Anyway, I like to think I'm more patient and calm now that I've been here awhile. I sure as heck won't slam Drop Dead Fred again! Don't know about being more mature... :p)
    Of course, my bizarre sense of humor still rears its ugly head every now and then. [​IMG]
    And I'm still madly in love with Emmanuelle Beart! [​IMG]

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I did most of my "Internet maturing" in my first year or two of Internet discussions on Usenet (95/96) and on Fidonet.
    On HTF, I have mostly learned a lot about Home Theater (surprisingly enough). [​IMG]
    /Mike