What's new

Sending HD/All Feed to Remote Plasma (1 Viewer)

ChrisWi

Auditioning
Hi all,

I think this is my first post, but it's been a while if it isn't.

I have several HT projects coming up, but the first will be upgrading my DirecTV equipment to HD-capable and sending that HD feed out to a fairly distant 52" plasma screen. I say distant because I don't think I can practically do the run with a HDMI cable AND I also want to use this project as the kernel for a whole house media distribution network.

Let me provide a little more detail:

I have a media room with an equipment closet at the back of the room, screen at the front. All cabling for the house runs into the media closet. Each room I wanted video/audio in has two drop locations with two coax and two CAT5e each, as well as dedicated speaker level wiring, all running back to the equipment closet in the media room. My long-term intent is to have a whole house media distribution network.

EXCEPT - the location that has the plasma (Family Room) does not have any cable run to it, only a conduit run from the equipment closet to the screen location (approx 15'). But I can run whatever wiring I need.

Currently I also have all of my source equipment situated against the front wall of the media room because I haven't done anything with the integrated wiring in the room (surround sound, IR repeater, etc). Effectively, the equipment closet is functioning only as a wiring hub right now.

What I'm looking for is advice on how to get the feed from the equipment located at the front of the media room to the plasma in the family room.

I used to have the integrated TiVO/DirecTV equipment, but of course that went away with the DirecTV licensing deal. I'd like to have TiVO back, or something better if it's available. I suppose that means I'm open to implementing a media server and then having a media extender at the plasma and using CAT5 as the transfer media.

That's about the only solution my little brain has come up with, but I'd like to have more seasoned advice.

Advice?

Thanks,

Chris

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
I would be leaning towards media server/extenders in your situation as well. Especially if the DirecTV/Vista Media Center marriage ever happens, that would take care of everything.

ChrisWi

Auditioning
Interesting. I didn't even know that was in the works. Do you know how far away that might be? Any recommendations on hardware? Sounds like you're a Media Center fan. I kind of like HP media server products. I'll see if they make "extenders" as well. I suppose I could just get a bunch of X-Boxes... ;-)

Chris

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Eh, I just checked and it could be 2010 before Vista Media Center works with DirecTV. I looked at SageTV and they have a 'workaround' box that will record from DirecTV/Dish and they also sell streamers. It may be worth checking out.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Go ahead and move your equipment to the closet. There is nothing that will get you what you want without running wires. Either from the front of the room to the the equipment closet and then to the Plasma. Since you have to run them, you might as well run them all.

15' is nothing for HDMI so it will work fine.

Finally, I guess you missed the news last week that DirecTV and Tivo made up. There will be a new HD DirecTivo sometime in 2009. If it is anything like the past, it will be late and buggy. So a stable model won't be here until 2010. Be happy with your HR2x series DVRs. They are much faster than my HR10-250. I like them enough that I just got an HR22 today to replace an older standard def DirecTivo.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks