Senator wants cable, satellite decency standards

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by ThomasC, Mar 1, 2005.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

The FCC can regulate TV and radio broadcasts because they are carried over publicly owned airwaves. Cable is a privately owned, closed-circuit system.

What is "decency" anyway? According to the American Heritage dictionary, it is:

Does the concept of "decency" sound like something out of Victorian England, or is it just me?

3. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I have heard part of their argument for why this is needed is that when people buy cable they get channels whether they want them or not and dont pick and choose them.

But almost all tvs made in the last 10 years have the ability to block channels. If a parent finds a channel unsuitable for their child it is not difficult to setup their television so they dont get it.

I think this negates their argument that this is about protecting children. This senator is trying to dictate what adults should be allowed to use their own hard earned money to watch.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I wouldn't worry about this. This is just a Senator with his eye on the governorship that's looking to further his career by being able to say how he supports 'clean' TV. He wants to appeal to a certain group of voters and saying how he tried to get rid of 'indecency' on cable will be one way he tries to get those people to support him and vote for him in the future.

Plus, there's no way the cable industry is going to let this happen. They're too big of a lobby to ever let that happen.

5. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

This is so laughable. These same folks were all over the "v-chip" and now that they have that, are they saying their past efforts were worthless? Parents have the ability to limit what children see with technology and supervision. I think it all deals with screwed up priorities and expectations.

For example, I don't expect to see an NFL game without buxom cheerleaders, violent hits, beer commercials that push the limits for exposure, and vulgar language over the mics throughout the game.

Others think there's nothing wrong with a player getting his head taken off, but expect the guy to then say, "Thank you sir for impeding my progress, golly did that hurt" on the on field mic. They expect cheerleaders dressed in goose down coats, snow pants, and a ski mask. They expect ads for unhealthy cookies and soda.

6. Michael St. Clair

Whatever happened to Alaska? They used to be the Mind Your Own Business state.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Don’t be too sure. The broadcast industry has an even bigger lobby and they are very definitely on the back foot.

An example of the moment: on the eve of Hill Street Blue’s last show, take a look at the difference in what the show was like in its early seasons and now. Greg, one of the detectives was scheduled to bare his backside (as many of the other characters had) but the script was changed after concern that this was no longer acceptable. (This from an article in the Dallas Morning News today.

8. BartJY

BartJY Extra

Isn’t he one of the crowd that used to believe that we should get Government off our backs? I guess he’s form of Government is okay though.

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I think he's picking on Howard Stern! His bill mentions radio too, but I can't see him getting away with it - even if he wants to limit it to 'late night'.

Sure, tell a teenage boy that he can't set Tivo (after school) to record a 'late night' movie while everyone is asleep and play it back the next afternoon. It would be recorded, viewed, and erased before his parents ever knew what hit them! The only way they would find out would be if they looked at the recording history or what was coming up.

But outside of that, cable is a "paid" service. Would anyone here still pay the same for cable services if it was always 'clean?' (Ok, maybe some of you, but you get my point).

Can someone send him a copy of the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People"? I think he needs it! [​IMG]

Glenn

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Were you trying to clear that up for me, or were you making your own point? I already knew all that. [​IMG]

11. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

I think in Canada the CRTC can regulate cable.

I think these politicians are only giving lazy parents a scapegoat. The power is in the hands of the parents. They have parental locks on most new TVs now. I remember when my mom got overzealous and wouldn't let us watch the 9 PM reruns of the The Simpsons because they were rated 14 instead of the 7:30 one that was PG (I was 12 at the time)

12. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

13. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

ThomasC,

I was directing my comments at the Senator, not at you. [​IMG]

14. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

There's what a politician says when he is not in power and then there's what he does when in power. What he does is what he really believes, what he says is only how gets into power. This Senator apparently believes that government should be able to dictate what people can and can not watch or hear in the privacy of their own homes.

15. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Neither - Just drilling it home.

Glenn

16. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Eh, I spoke to my senators office about this yesterday. If they can't get Sam Brownback on board, then this thing is dead. It's just good political show.

17. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I just saw this guy on the tube. Although the interview was way too short, I did get from him that the V-chip was too complicated to set up, and he wanted it to be done at the source.

Glenn

18. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

The V-Chip isn't that hard IMO. What ever happened to free speech? Is it election year for these senators or something?

19. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Lew...I had missed this...has Hill Street Blue(no apostrophe)s really been canceled? Well, what the heck, Veronica Hamel is 61 now so it's just not the same.

[​IMG]

Re: Pandering....it is a very effective re-election tool.

20. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Thanks Henry, I miswrote and put in NYPD BLUE'S predecessor. Veronica is probably still hot. [​IMG]