Senate bill-potentially limiting number of DVD viewings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed O, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Ed O

Ed O Agent

2. Terrell

Terrell Producer

That doesn't sound like they're talking about DIVX. That sounds like they're talking about all DVDs. What the hell is happening to this country? Is this even America anymore? Good God what a stupid idea.

3. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

While that is scary, I also think it is highly unlikely.

For one, why would studios want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg? On top of that, maybe I am unsure, but how would these be compatible with current dvd players?

-- Matt

4. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    That's not gonna happen. I think that article was written by someone who didn't understand what they were talking about. I don't think it's even possible, it would not be compatible with current DVD players. DVD players do not modify Discs in anyway, unless it has a DVD burner in it, so there is no way that a dvd would be able to tell that it had been played before, or that it had been played in another player. The only reason that divx worked that way is because the player would dial up the company before it played any disc. For this to work, they would have to create a new type of DVD player, and a new DVD format.

It's not gonna happen!

5. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Ed,
    Thanks for bringing this issue to light.
    Now, I would go completely ballistic/postal/rampant if this legislation is passed! [​IMG]. You talk about a mob storming the capital.
    That's so ludicrous, didn't they learn their lesson with the Divx fiasco?
    I wish these 'puppet' ass congressmen who introduce these stupid ideas would come back to reality and quite trying to vie for the studios support and work for the common people who they are supposed to represent anyway!
    Troy

6. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I heared today that radio stations when then they go digital will start putting a code into the signal so people cant record the songs off the radio. Havent seen anythign about dvd's

capt

7. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I'm can't believe something so incredibly stupid, asinine, and ridiculous is even being suggested.

No DVD ownership anymore...only a product that amounts to a long term rental? I'd be shocked if this law goes anywhere.

Hollywood and lawmakers need to get a clue.

8. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    It isn't so.

If there is such a bill, I'd like to know the number and the name of the sponsor.

The article doesn't even quote a Senate official, just somebody in the video industry who may or may not be misquoting something he heard.

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

This is either looking ahead to HD-DVD formats with some new limited read/write ability, or else is going back to the oft-talked-about chemical "coating" on discs that would deteriorate upon either contact with air or contact with the laser. It eventually turns an opaque color that the laser can't get through to read the disc, effectively limiting viewings.

In either case, it goes back to the old "Divx" principle of disposable discs filling up landfills with non-biodegradable items by the millions, and so I doubt this gets passed on that basis alone. Much less the objection to "forced rentals".

I would simply get out of the business of watching movies if this happenned. I would go back to books, naturally. Unless they coated the pages with a chemical coating that...Nah.

10. Tom Foley

Tom Foley Stunt Coordinator

I don't know, this article doesn't seem too well thought-out or explained thoroughly enough for me to totally believe it. What the article is leaving out (among many other things)is: how the hell can you pull that off with the MILLIONS of DVD players out there that do not have the capacity to do anything like this?

Unless I'm missing something, like that CE companies are conspiring right now to change the technology and not tell anyone. If that EVER happened, CE companies and retailers know they can expect a whole lot of DVD players to come flying into their offices via the front window. Or perhaps they want to build these kinds of capabilities into the HD-DVD format.

Congress could not hope to change the DVD format, no matter how much Hollywood pays them. The minute they try to put something like this "code" on there, it ceases to be a DVD. Just like when the music companies tried to put copy protection on their CDs, Philips reminded them that CDs do not have copy protection capabilities, and if they create a CD and market it with the CD trademark, then it MUST be able to play in any player that also indicates a CD trademark, otherwise it's a license violation.

If Congress is seriously hoping to do this, to essentially OUTLAW DVD as we know it today, or to create a HD-DVD format that unlike DVD does not allow for any ownership whatsoever, then Terrell, I got to agree, this simply isn't America anymore. The day that a bunch of bureaucrats decide to alter a technology they had nothing to do with creating, that spawned the biggest success in CE history, that millions of people around the world enjoy, that is keeping the media conglomerates (who ironically want these changes) out of Chapter 11 (for now), that is a worldwide phenomenon and not necessarily under Congress' jurisdiction, in order to in effect drive it into the ground and destroy perhaps the one thing that has gone right in American business in the last five years, then I'm packing up my DVD player and my modest collection and moving to Galt's Gulch.

$

11. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    If this ludicrous "bill" were to be, the copyright holders concerned would go bankrupt very quickly.

12. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

Is this post against forum rules?

13. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Without an SR# I can't look this up, but something deep in my gut tells me that this is yet another lame-brained bill from the illustrious Senator Fritz Hollings (D-South Carolina), the most anti-consumer, pro-Hollywood, pro-Trial Attorney Senator in the country.

-Lyle J.P.

14. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] PUUUUH-LEASE!!!! Saddam Hussein will be invited to a White House state dinner before this bill ever passes, if it even exists.

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Which post, Thik?

16. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

17. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

There are no posting violations in this thread. Politicians proposing legislation having a direct impact on the DVD-consuming public can be discussed--within the context of this nitrous oxide-inspired bill.

The AP wire story linked in the first post simply does not tell enough.

It is funny, though, how when the word "digital" is applied to any consumer entertainment medium, the issue of copy protection gets abused.

Would even the studios support such a nonsensical idea, what with all the billions they are raking in thanks to sell-through DVD? And, of course, what about the many of us who own more than one DVD player? ("Um, I should order two copies of [movie title], one for my dedicated home theater and another for my bedroom system!")

In a copy-protection-gone-amok era, this bill is a bit extreme.

19. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

As this forum's most vocal copyright protection advocate, the idea put forth in that story is ridiculous. Even if we forget the limited plays, the notion of limiting playback to the first machine used is ridiculous - machines break, and there would be no incentive for anyone to go out and buy more hardware if their entire collection expired as a result.

I think whoever came up with this brainchild should start lobbying for legalising marijuanna - at least then he wouldn't be violating the law with what he's obviously smoking.

20. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Jeff, it goes beyond the idea of a player breaking. It's as simple as the idea of having a player in the living room and another player in the bedroom. If you felt like watching something while laying in bed, you couldn't. You would essentially be limited to one DVD player in the whole house. Ridiculous.