Semi-Tough ripoff: HELP!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeremy Brupaste, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Jeremy Brupaste

Jeremy Brupaste Stunt Coordinator

So, MGM's 'Semi-Tough':

It's been out for a few years, but I always passed on it because it wasn't anamorphic. Today I was in my local video store and noticed it had a new cover and a new, cheap low price. I checked the back and it was listed as being 16x9, soooo I figured this was another non-announced MGM upgrade like 'Back to School' (which was non-anamorphic, then re-released without fanfare 16x9 enhanced).

I bought it, went home, popped it in, and lo and behold - it's NOT enhanced for my widescreen television!

Now, obviously I could go back and exchange the disc where I bought it, but I'm a little steamed at MGM here - this is fradulent advertising, plain and simple. Am I wrong? Am I getting cranky over nothing?

Please advise.

2. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Jeremy, you're perfectly right to be cranky about it. However, it MAY not be a case of false advertising, but rather a mixup where some of the older discs were inadvertently put through into the new packaging.

But that is STILL reason enough to be cranky about it. I'm always dismayed at quality control these days just about everywhere.

3. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

To me, if the neglect is ingrained and manifest -- that does constitute false advertising.

I just bought two Artificial Eye (R2 UK) titles -- both listed as "Enhanced for widescreen TVs" on the packaging and in both cases they weren't even letterboxed: they were 1.33:1 (4:3). UTTER FRAUD.

Ted

4. Jeremy Brupaste

Jeremy Brupaste Stunt Coordinator

Okay, I've decided to go to war over this.

First salvo: anybody got an email address or phone number for me for MGM? Plese note that I'm in Canada - don't know if that makes a difference or not for contact information...