Selznick's "The Garden of Allah" DVD Re-Release Coming 10/19/04 !!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe_Pinney, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney Stunt Coordinator

Joe Pinney
    I'm not sure this had been previously announced, but just by chance I happened across this listing for the 1936 David O. Selznick-produced early 3-Strip Technicolor smash hit The Garden of Allah on Amazon.com - it's getting a DVD re-release in October, this time by MGM Home Video!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

This film features some truly gorgeous color cinematography. The subtle color graduations and pastels on display in this film are a sight to behold. Assuming the transfer is at least up to par with the out of print Anchor Bay release ( which I own ) then this DVD release is highly recommended for cinematography fans. I'm less enamored of the film's storyline, but the photography is pure eye candy.

- Walter.

3. Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan Second Unit

Agreed. The tepid and mediocre narrative is more than compensated for by the lavish color photography (Ray Renahan?). Also, historically speaking, it's always a treat for me to watch early Technicolor photography.

What puzzles me is why this film has survived the years so well preserved, while others by the same studio like A STAR IS BORN and NOTHING SACRED have not? Anyone care to comment?

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Drew, I would imagine that since both A Star Is Born and Nothing Sacred fell into the public domain, there was no incentive for the studio to preserve them while Garden Of Allah remained a copyrighted title.

5. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Never a fan of 'big heads' but I love that cover art; I believe the current UK R2 is a straight port of the OOP Anchor Bay - I'm assuming this is also that same transfer?

6. Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan Second Unit

How did some Selznick productions fall into public domain and others not? Strange.

7. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Thanks for the heads-up! I try to pay close attention to all announcements and frequent a lot of DVD sites, but missed this one somehow. And only $10. Great cover, yoo.