What's new

Selznick's "The Garden of Allah" DVD Re-Release Coming 10/19/04 !!! (1 Viewer)

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
I'm not sure this had been previously announced, but just by chance I happened across this listing for the 1936 David O. Selznick-produced early 3-Strip Technicolor smash hit The Garden of Allah on Amazon.com - it's getting a DVD re-release in October, this time by MGM Home Video!

:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
This film features some truly gorgeous color cinematography. The subtle color graduations and pastels on display in this film are a sight to behold. Assuming the transfer is at least up to par with the out of print Anchor Bay release ( which I own ) then this DVD release is highly recommended for cinematography fans. I'm less enamored of the film's storyline, but the photography is pure eye candy.

- Walter.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Agreed. The tepid and mediocre narrative is more than compensated for by the lavish color photography (Ray Renahan?). Also, historically speaking, it's always a treat for me to watch early Technicolor photography.

What puzzles me is why this film has survived the years so well preserved, while others by the same studio like A STAR IS BORN and NOTHING SACRED have not? Anyone care to comment?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Drew, I would imagine that since both A Star Is Born and Nothing Sacred fell into the public domain, there was no incentive for the studio to preserve them while Garden Of Allah remained a copyrighted title.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Never a fan of 'big heads' but I love that cover art; I believe the current UK R2 is a straight port of the OOP Anchor Bay - I'm assuming this is also that same transfer?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads-up! I try to pay close attention to all announcements and frequent a lot of DVD sites, but missed this one somehow. And only $10. Great cover, yoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks