What's new

Selling your own home? Helpfull info needed (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Or Austin... That's about a $750K-$1.5m home anywhere west of downtown.

After getting married, I talked to two different brokers about listing my wife's 1,100 sqft bungalow, but even after looking at the comps, both brokers suggested listing it for under $250,000 which I felt was too low for the location. After sending out some emails to friends and colleagues, within a month I found someone who agreed to pay $258,000 for it.

(No, 1,100 sqft is not a typo. In fact, the property was on only 1/10th of an acre... homes in many parts of Austin don't come cheap.).

So for us, not only did we get about $10,000 more than what the brokers were suggesting, but we saved $15k in realtor fees. The buyer paid for the inspection and appraisal, and we paid $800 to have a real estate attorney draw up all the legal documents and make sure all the I's were dotted and t's were crossed.

While this transaction could not have gone more smoothly, I'm not sure I would necessarily have done it had I not found a buyer so quickly and if the brokers had not suggested such a low price.

If it was a home I was living in and in a location where the average time a house is on the market is over two months, then I'd probably use a broker. Trying to sell a house your living in could cause more of a headache than simply paying the broker fees and not worry about open houses, making handouts, continually showing the house, etc.

The other problem is even if you sell the house without a broker, chances are the buyer will have a broker and thus you will have to pay that broker 3%. You could state that you wont work with a broker, but that will likely keep most interested parties away, which could result in having to sell the home for less, thus not only wiping out the savings from not paying a broker fee, but possibly even cost you more money.

We are currently looking at building a new house, and in the next few months I'll have to evaluate whether or not to use a broker. Our current home is far more substantial than my wife's bungalow, so the savings we might get from not using a broker is tempting, but I can see how it could easily not be worth the effort, and could result in having to sell the home for less than what a really good and aggressive broker might sell it for.

My guess is that I'll try to sell the house on my own for a couple weeks, and if it looks like I'm not getting any positive responses then I'll hire a broker.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone heard from Todd? I remember he mentioned he lived right off I-59 near Slidell... which took a direct hit by the eye of Katrina.

His last post on the forum was only a few hours before Katrina reached Slidell, and it almost sounded like he wasn't planning on evacuating.

I hope that he is all right, and that his home was spared, but I fear the worst. :frowning:

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I attempted to search the forum on wwltv.com but came up with nothing... It's a tough site, so not sure the Search capability is up to snuff. Praying he's ok....

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I have searched through both the Missing Persons and the I'm OK lists for vicitims of Katrina hosted on www.nola.com and was only able to find a Joseph & Ronnie Barattini - who I'm fairly certain are no relation.

I truly hope Todd and his family are safe! I believe they have two young daughters... I'm not a very religious man, but I'll be praying they are all safe.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Wow, just to follow up on this thread I started:
A) we made it thur the hurricane with no major problems in the house shown above.:)
b) we sold the same home, by owner, for $312 k on 1/10/07 :laugh:
c) after 23 years of marriage, We filed for divorce on 3/8/07 :frowning:

other than "c" selling a home by owner worked great for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks