Selling Your Babies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rory Buszka, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

How do you DIYers keep building more and more new speakers without filling the whole house with old stuff? Do you sell the older ones? Who can you sell to? Friends? Relatives? eBay?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, how much do you wind up selling them for?

Or am I out of my mind for even suggesting it?

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Rory,
    Well, at the moment I've got a pair of ACI Emeralds, ACI Opals, GR Research A/V-1's and GR Research A/V-1+'s and an Adire LCC center channel kit. The A/V-1+'s and LCC kits are still in progress. I really do need to sell off the Opals and Emeralds but just haven't really looked into it. I'm going to have to do something soon though! [​IMG]
    Brian

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I learned the hard way that DIY speakers don't sell. You might get lucky and find someone like on this forum but it's a long shot to make some money from it.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

No one wants me kids either. [​IMG]
    On the flip side, I don't dress them funny.

5. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I've been selling off my commercial stuff to make room for the DIY stuff.
    But if I do clothing comes with them.

I might sell my 85L Shiva/PR sub if I need a bigger one in the new house. That shouldn't be to hard to do especially on these forums.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

So Rob, is that LCC done yet? I got my cabinet built (still need to cut all the driver holes in the baffle) on Saturday but am waiting for the crossover parts to arrive from Adire. I got two of the 5.25" mids but no crossover parts! Dan shipped them out to me right away though.

Brian

7. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I'd rather keep anything I build, because it's worth more to me than to anyone else. As Chris said, people aren't willing to pay that much for DIY speakers.

8. Rob Lloyd

Brian - Nope not yet. Been busy w/ other stuff. I hope to get it closer tomorrow night and have it finished by this weekend. I've actually been building my 281s instead as my main speakers will be going away this weekend. A little one one a little on the other.
    I still think I'll have mine done before you though! [​IMG]

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Rob,
    Well, considering I probably won't have the crossover parts before tomorrow or Friday you're probably right! Not to mention I won't have a chance to work on the baffle before Saturday.
    Anyway, I'll probably let Pat listen to it nekkid before I "finish" it. [​IMG]
    Brian

10. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Let's see, in the last two years I've built 7 monitors, 2 towers, a center, 2 surrounds and a Tempest sonosub. My daughter has 3 of the monitors, a friend bought 2 after he heard them and a son wants the other 2. The towers, center and surrounds are my current system. Someone wants to buy my towers when I replace them and wants to buy my sonosub or have me build them one. I just completed a pair of GR Research A/V3 towers for a customer.
    Oh yeah, I plan to get Patrick to Austin, lock him in my garage with his cabinets, veneer, glue, etc and not let him out until he has FINISHED a pair of speakers. [​IMG]

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I prefer to listen to my speakers nekkid...er wait, that didn't come out right...

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Yeah guys, Hank's daughter is a very pretty young lady (must get her looks from her mother) and is legal drinking age! Between that and the fact that she likes speakers means she must be pretty cool!
    Why if I weren't married... Well, Hank would probably kill me first! [​IMG]
    Brian

13. Hank Frankenberg

Patrick, I HAVE heard of weirder behavior. At least you're in your own home.
    Brian, curb thy tongue, knave! BTW, why don't you get Patrick to your shop and teach him to finish cabinets so he'll have something else to post a zillion photos about? [​IMG]

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hank,
    That's probably a good idea. I just have this mental picture of Pat standing in his garage with a piece of veneer wrapped around him with his cats stuck to it as well! [​IMG]

15. Hank Frankenberg

LOL Yeah, better start him out with an apron, gloves, a can of paint and a brush. Then, STAND BACK!

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I still say he should put red oak veneer with red mahogany dye/stain on the sides, top and bottom and paint the baffles with that green metal hammerite paint.

Brian

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Those sounds like Christmas speakers, and yet, that's probably what I'll do one of these decades.

18. Rob Lloyd

Maybe we should have a finishing contest for Pat. Pat can send a single speaker to people to finish for him. I'll do the left speaker, Brian does the right one, etc. until they are all done. Might make for an interesting looking HT and a fun contest.
    I'm sure we could scrounge up prizes for best finish, worst finish, strangest, etc.

Rob

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think I should start a thread entitled:

Dressing my babies.

20. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

What ever you do P@, ignore any finishing advise from MKnapp. God knows what you could end up with.[​IMG]
    After reading some of these replies, that goes for Mr. Bunge also. Red and green, man what are you thinkin????
    [​IMG]