What's new

Selling used games (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Hi folks, I have a few used XOBX games that I want to sell. They are in perfect condition. I'm just curious about what the best and easiest way to sell them would be.

I was thinking of taking them into a GameStop or EBGames store, but I don't even know if they buy used games from customers. If they do, what kind of prices do they offer? Any better places to sell out there? I don't have an eBay account, and would prefer a method where I just walk in and get cash, rather than having to pay for shipping, etc.

Just curious as to what options are out there.

Thanks for any help!

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Those places will buy used games but they typically give you very little. I don't even know what they're paying now since I haven't tried selling anything there for years. There's an official post at the top of this forum where you can list games for sale. I think that Ebay is your best bet. Hard to believe that someone still doesn't have an Ebay account. :D

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
It's really a trade off, you get more money on eBay but you do have to list it, ship it, and get the money. But you get much more almost always than trading at EB or GS.

Look at the games you want to sell on eBay (see what they end at), then take the games into EB and see what they offer. Then you'll know how much or little you get by eBaying them.

You can also sell them here at HTF. It's a good method though not as sure fire as eBay.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Lots of good options already mentioned here, but which avenue to pursue comes down to two questions: i) how old is the game, and ii) what's the current market demand for the title(s) in question.

Unless your game(s) is relatively new, software retailers such as EB and Gamestop will offer very little in trade value / store credit. Newer games can garner 50% or higher in trade value, but older titles can yield only nickels on the dollar. Sports titles have the worst depreciation rates; unless they're this year's releases, retailers and consumers have little or no interest in yesteryear's titles.

From my personal experience, Amazon Marketplace and eBay have generated the best returns. The only drawback to using either is the service fees applied to each sale (Amazon's a bit higher than eBay, but my results were quicker with the former; every DVD or video game I've listed with Amazon was sold within three days :emoji_thumbsup: )

Blockbuster is currently accepting used DVDs and video games for store credit. They're offering a minimum of $8 per DVD and the assessed value plus an additional $5 per video game (must have a minimum of 3 games).

James T

Screenwriter
If you put it on eBay, sell them seperatly. If you need quick cash, then bundle them, but you'll end up losing a couple bucks.

Last year I sold a game that I paid $60CDN for and 2 weeks later traded it to EB and got $20. Not exactly what I was expecting.

But EB does have promotions going on in regard to trade-ins. I think their new one is trade in three games and get Halo 2 for free. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on trying it shortly. Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 are on my list and I need the funds.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I traded a bunch of games into EBgames during an promotion of trade 5 games get an extra $5 each per game. Most of the games I received only $1 to $3 for, so with the extra $5, it was just barely worth trading the games in. Even a new title got me $17 (I can't remember if that was before or after the $5). On the other hand, selling games on Half.com always netted me a very good price, very close to what the game is selling for new in some cases.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, listing here first is free, so there's a first step. Ebay is always an option, but with the afforementioned service fees and extra work.

I tend to avoid trading stuff in to EB though, but made an exception for the "3 for Halo 2" offer. Took in Sonic Adventure DX ($11), Sonic Mega Collection ($11) and Billy Hatcher ($9), and got $60 in credit (prices in brackets are the normal trade in prices) for a game I was going to buy anyway.

Unless you're in on one of those offers though, I'd stick with Ebay or HTF.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
why not list them here in the forum's marketplace? people do it with DVD's all the time.

James T

Screenwriter
I traded in a bunch of games to EB today and here's what I got(prices in CDN funds)

These three for Halo 2
-NFL 2K5
-RB6
-ESPN MLB
I forgot to ask what I would get if I wasn't putting towards Halo 2.

I also had three more that I put towards half-Life 2

-Fable $30
-Doom3 $23
-Obi Wan...they wouldn't credit that game towards Halo 2 cause it was only worth $6.00 ;)

It's actually not that bad. I put the those games(minus Doom3 and Fable) plus the Fable EB disc and a bunch of XBox mag demo discs on eBay and got $30 US. The deadbeat didn't end up paying. I guess it worked out for me in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks