selling the bose....tips

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Co, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

I am planning on selling my Bose system on ebay.....(hooray)
    The only problem is I have never sold anything on ebay. Any of you Bose victims (no names please) have any tips on the procedure please let me know. Gotta get thses new speakers in! If you want you can e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks!

2. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if I should be helping out a Wolverine (I am a Michigan State grad)[​IMG] but the best tip I can give you is to make sure you include a photo of the item. Invariably, items that include a decent picture sell for a great deal more than items that do not include pictures. I think people get queasy about buying high piced consumer electronics gear without being able to see the condition of the item.
    You should do real well. One good thing about Bose is that they have EXCELLENT resale value. You may also consider posting a classified ad on audiogon.com. I'm constantly amazed by how much people will pay for stuff over there.

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

I am not a Bose victim, but as John has written, post a few pics on there. I have a friend who sells on ebay all the time and a product with pics does receive more attention then listing without them.
    Also, verbage such as "little use", "played at moderate volume", "excellent condition" are good terms to use. Of course, their has to be some truth to your statement also. [​IMG]
    I too am amazed what people pay for ebay "stuff." I recently needed to purchase a replacement satellite receiver because my other one fried. Bought it at Tweeter for X amount of dollars. Saw the same product listed on ebay for $100 more then I paid and they were still bidding. I paid normal price, no sale or discount at Tweeter. Gezzzz!!

4. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Go onto eBay and do a search for the item you are selling, and you can see if some sellers auctions are generally higher then others. This is generally because of the wording you choose to use. If you don't word it right, you might not even reach everyone that you are targeting for the sale. The title is sometimes just as important as the description. You'd be surprised, but you can do a search and buy a "Playsation 2" on eBay. I wonder if that's anything like a Playstation 2... [​IMG]
    Another thing is if you're going to sell a Bose and this is your first time on eBay, it might not sell for that much. The people might be weary to buy an expensive item from a new person with no feedback...
    Greg.

5. Rich Dunmore

Rich Dunmore Extra

I can attest to the fact that Bose holds on to their resale value pretty well. I recently sold my 4 year old Acoustimass-10s on Ebay for $100 less than I paid for them. You've been given good advice as far as including photos and verbage to include. You'll do well.

6. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

Add the words, "used in a smoke free and pet free environment" if it applies to your auction. And good pictures are a must! Ebay charges $1.75 for 4 pictures with supersizing, which allows the bidder to see your equipment form different angles.

7. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

8. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Roberto,

I have a friend who sells used clothing on ebay for a second income (she does well with it) and always puts in her description, smoke free enviornment and kept in cedar chest closet.

Before she added this description to her products, they did not sell as well as they do now. Good for marketing as long as it's truthful.

Clothing versus electronics. A different category of products, but it places a positive idea in the buyers mind if smoke and pets are a negative to them.

Also, if you use Paypal for final payment, I think they charge a 3% fee. Checks or money orders might be a better choice for a one time sale.

9. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

All good info. What about boxes, bubble wrap etc. to put the equipment in if you no longer have the originals. Who is the best company to ship through?

J

10. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Hey, a fellow Wolverine [​IMG]
    I'm an alumni, class of 2000 [​IMG]
    Anyway, I haven't put anything up on ebay since I graduated, but back then when I did, I always included manufacturer's pictures as they usually look better than pictures I took(didn't have a digicam back then). Also include manufacturer's specs to make it look good, but in the case of Bose I guess you're SOL since Bose doesn't make it a habit to publish specs...

11. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

12. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I would advise using a very descriptive subject line with as many different spellings for the product as you can...assuming there is multiple terms people would search for. I never go through the categories to search for stuff and just type in what I'm looking for so if there are multiple names for the product, be sure to include them all because someone might find it under one term, but not the other.

13. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Roberto,

Pet free and smoke free make all the difference in the world to some people. Some hotels are completely smoke free and do very well because of that.

Several years ago Ford was going to produce a smoke free car that had the ashtrays removed and charge several hundred dollars more for it. I always thought where would you put your change.

Phil