Selling Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'm getting out of HT. I want a nice stereo set-up and not much more. Ideally I'd like to find a buyer for my DefTech speaker system but I have no idea how to go about doing so.

I could do the whole internet sale thing but the idea of shipping these speakers isn't exactly ideal. The BP-30 surrounds are ~90lbs each and the BP-2000tl mains are even heavier (120lbs each?).

Putting value on speakers seems difficult too. How do I know what to ask for for a 5-speaker set-up? There are far fewer used speaker sales to watch and guage. It's much different than selling a receiver or amp.

What have you guys done in the past? Do speaker dealers ever accept 'trade-ins' on new speakers?

2. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

A dealer will give you 30 cents on the dollar for your speakers. The best way to do it is put the word out locally or place an ad in a local paper or work with a consignment shop...talk to an audio store about setting up your speakers in their showroom- if they sell, they get a percentage. Good luck.

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Camp,
    Probably none of my business, but why are you getting out of HT?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I was wondering that, too.

I've traded speakers in several times. In one case, I got a tremendous deal because the speakers had assumed "classic" status (this was in the 1970s, when I traded in a pair of Rectilinear IIIs).