1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Selling Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'm getting out of HT. I want a nice stereo set-up and not much more. Ideally I'd like to find a buyer for my DefTech speaker system but I have no idea how to go about doing so.

I could do the whole internet sale thing but the idea of shipping these speakers isn't exactly ideal. The BP-30 surrounds are ~90lbs each and the BP-2000tl mains are even heavier (120lbs each?).

Putting value on speakers seems difficult too. How do I know what to ask for for a 5-speaker set-up? There are far fewer used speaker sales to watch and guage. It's much different than selling a receiver or amp.

What have you guys done in the past? Do speaker dealers ever accept 'trade-ins' on new speakers?

2. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

A dealer will give you 30 cents on the dollar for your speakers. The best way to do it is put the word out locally or place an ad in a local paper or work with a consignment shop...talk to an audio store about setting up your speakers in their showroom- if they sell, they get a percentage. Good luck.

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Camp,
    Probably none of my business, but why are you getting out of HT?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I was wondering that, too.

I've traded speakers in several times. In one case, I got a tremendous deal because the speakers had assumed "classic" status (this was in the 1970s, when I traded in a pair of Rectilinear IIIs).