What's new

Selling present equipment in order to upgrade??? (1 Viewer)

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Is this something that many do?
I have an 8month old Marantz SR-6200 receiver that does a great job driving my 6.1 system, but I have a couple of room issues that need a parametric EQ to fix. There is no easy or inexpensive way to incorporate an EQ into the system. Yamaha is coming out with a new receiver that has a real time analyzer and parametric EQ built in. This is exactly what I need, however, it is expensive. In order to afford it I will have to try to sell my Marantz to recover some of my investment. I realize there is a forum here for selling, but I seldom see much on there. If anyone here has sold one piece to move up to another, how did you find a buyer? Our equipment is already expensive enough that the general public wouldn't think of spending that much for a "stereo".

Oh and in case anyone is interested, the SR-6200 is rated at 100W x 6ch with DD and DTS.

Steve

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just sold my 6200 that was 1-1/2yrs old for $400. You can probably ask more than that, but I doubt you will get much more. I sold it to a friend at work.

Try www.audiogon.com though I have seen them sell for a little less than that there. They did seem to go very quick though, so that is a plus.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Steve,

Most room issues are in the bass regions. If this is your situation, you can insert a parametric EQ between the receiver and the sub, and equalize the sub. For other channels, if there are pre-out and main-in jacks (there often is for the main L/R channels), you can insert a parametric there.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,
Thanks. My issues are in the 1K range. My receiver has no tone controls when running in multi-channel (more than stereo) mode. I need to tame some peaks at approx 1k and 800hz. I am also assuming that I need to do it in all channels. Of course I could get a DVD player with it's own processor and analog outputs and insert parametric eq's in between it and my receiver, but most DVD player decoders are inferior to what is in a good receiver. I don't want to go backwards in one area to improve another. I was told the new Yamaha has a real time analyzer, calibrated mic, and pink noise generator. You set it up and let it go and it sets channel levels, time delays, speaker phasing and room eq, all automatically. It also has 7.1 channels and 120W x 7. My other alternative would be to go with a separate amp and eq's. This would be even more expensive and still not have the advantages of a real time analyzer.
I'm not closed minded, I'd love to find a way to do what I need without spending as much money. But would eq'ing only the mains really help that much? especially since the center channel is used so extensively in movies?

Thanks,
Steve

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You’re right, all those options are pretty pricey. If the Yamaha you’re speaking of is the up-coming Z9, I’ve heard it’s in the $4k range.

I need to tame some peaks at approx 1k and 800hz.
That’s pretty unusual. In that range I’d suspect the speakers first, then perhaps acoustical treatments.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
It could very well be speakers, or even room treatments, but the fact still remains that they are there. If an eq can help, why not try it?
I don't know the model number of the Yamaha. I was just on the phone with my HT store discussing options with the guy who helped me select all my present equipment. He's the one who told me about the upcoming Yamaha receiver. WHen I asked about price (because I also expected 3-4k) he said $1000. I guess I'll wait and see when it comes out.
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks