What's new

Selling on e-bay, the basics? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I have never sold anything on e-bay before, but I have some audio gear that is just sitting around doing nothing that I figure I could get some cash for. I have an e-bay seller account setup and everything and I am sure e-bay takes you though a lot of the process. But could anyone give me a few tips. For example I am not sure what to do about shipping, do I need to figure out how much it is going to cost to ship my product and then post the shipping cost in the auction, or can the buyer contract and discuss it with me? Any experienced sellers have an advice for me? Thanks.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
It is always best to find out how much it would cost you to ship the farthest you are willing to ship it and post that amount in the auction. I have found that if the shipping price is known, more people will bid. And just make sure you cover yourself and state all your requests of the buyer in the auction.

If you already have your stuff boxed up, you can simply measure and weigh the package and go online to get an estimate from say ups or others.

Chris Derby

Second Unit
if you're going to accept paypal, do NOT accept payments funded by creditcards. you will have no defense against chargebacks, fraudulent or not.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

This will severely limit your sales potential. I, along with a huge segment of people, won't buy from any seller who won't accept credit cards.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Some other basics off the top of my head.

1. post pictures of the object(s) for sale
2. post the ad around 8-10PM so that it ends at that time 3-7 days later and not on a friday or saturday
3. use eBay's backgrounds...they're free and are an easy way to spruce up an other wise boring ad.
4. take paypal payments
5. don't go over the top gushing about the items as that's a turn off for most people
6. post a fixed shipping rate. As mentioned above use UPS's online rate calulator for an estimate.
7. use a reserve price set to a reasonable amount
8. start bidding at $1 to generate interest
9. Pay Now's are popular and cost little extra

Chris Derby

Second Unit
it's a trust issue... i may make exceptions, but i've had to eat bullshit chargebacks (including their "dispute fee") that ebay/paypal refuses to fight "correctly" with the CC companies.

it basically boils down the the fact that their seller protection policy doesn't protect you at all from chargebacks. you can describe your item in a honest, detailed auction, answer all buyers' questions truthfully and ship promptly, and no amount of documentation you provide is going to enable you to "win" a dispute.

i guess i'm more comfortable as a buyer than a seller.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
That depends upon the buyer. I generally avoid auctions with ridiculously low opening bids but with a reserve. I prefer sellers that are honest and open about what the low bid price actually is.

But I can only speak for myself. Maybe other buyers feel differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks