What's new

Selling my car today...anything special I need to know? (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Basically I'm selling my car to a neighbor tonight through a local notary service.
Is there anything I should be doing to protect myself as the seller?
The car runs and is mechanically sound IMO but it does have exterior/interior flaws (rust, dings, seat rips) and will need some mechanical work done to pass inspection. I'm asking a fair price which we both agreed upon when she came down to turn on the car and check out the engine.

I just want to make sure I'm doing all I can to protect myself from being sued if something were to happen to the car, hours, days, weeks after the buyer purchased the car from me. It's been a great car for me and I'd still be driving it if my family didn't get such a great deal on the minivan we're driving now. Ya know, growing family and all.
I have informed the buyer of all the "defects" I know of and I plan to hand over all the repair receipts I've kept over the years but is there anything else I can/should do?

Thanks,
Brian

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Brian:
I am not sure how things are in Virginia, but in NY a private party sale is a "Final Sale". So a buyer, really has most of the responsibility to research the history of the car.
Looks like you were honest on disclosing the history of the car along with its shortcomings so you have nothing to worry about.
And you better make sure the car is not a lemon, if you sold it to a neighbor :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Whenever I sell a car, I always have both the seller (myself) and the buyer sign a bill of sale that lists the vehicle model, VIN, mileage, sale price and an agreement that the vehicle is sold "as is".

Actually, we have sold two used cars to neighbors without any problems. The first -- a 1990 Ford Probe -- was sold to the people across the street six years ago, and they still own the car.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies.

Aurel,
I didn't know that a private party used car sale could be automatically deamed "final" in NY or any other state. I'll look into that a little more for Pennsylvania's law.

Scott,
Your idea of a Bill of Sale sounds like a good one.
Is there a general BOS template I can find on the internet somewhere or should I just write one myself?

Thanks again,
Brian

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Is there a general BOS template I can find on the internet somewhere or should I just write one myself?
My wife is a legal assistant, so she found a template in her office. I have a copy of the verbage at home (I'm at work right now). I could post it later tonight, if that's not too late.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Also be careful with your title and never accept checks, cashiers checks, or money orders since they can all be cancelled. Once you sign over the title you do not own the car even if all you got for it was a worthless piece of paper. I have always met them at their bank and if they are writing me a check I have the check cashed to make sure it will clear before I sign over the title. Best of luck and it sounds like you have been honest/forthcoming in regards to the car and in most states private sales are final. Make sure that also on some titles they have a box that can be checked when you sell the car that states it is AS IS.

KyleS

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Scott,

I have found a BOS template that I can use, thanks for looking into it though.

Kyle,
I'm not sure if she will be paying cash, certified check or money order but those are the options I gave her.
You bring up a good point though.

She does know that I work for the PA Attorney General's Office which tends to keep these type of transactions pretty smooth for me. I guess my job does have it's "side benefits" every once in a while.

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks