Selling my car privately, what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenK, Jul 24, 2003.

1. StephenK

StephenK Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

Holy crap, I listed my car on yahoo, cars.com & autotrader.com 2 days ago and I think I have a buyer already!

Anyway, I've never done this before (selling a car privately). I went to the DMV site to get their procedures but it's written poorly. Can anyone walk me through the process and/or let me know what to look out for? Things like, is it correct to require a certified check? I know I should keep the plates and scrape off the registration, but then how does the buyer drive it away without plates?

Things like that.

Thanks
    Steve

2. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

I am not sure how much you sold the car for, but a cashiers check or cash are the best ways to go. Obviously do not take any personal checks.

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

At least in Michigan, it is legal to drive a car you have bought straight home without a plate.

4. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Here in Delaware, it's really simple. The back of your title has a form you just fill out. Print the buyer & sellers names, date, selling price, & mileage and both of you sign. Buyer drives off with the car and seller mails the title/form into DMV same day. There is no need to remove the plates or registration sticker.

I dont know how much this varies from state-to-state.
    UPDATE: I just looked it up. Here's the form you (seller) need to fill out for New York state.

As mentioned above ... just make sure to have the buyer bring you a cashiers check or money order. No matter how trustworthy they are, DONT take a personal check.

5. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

When I bought my car on Ebay, the seller and I both went to his local DMV and filled the paperwork out with a clerk there just to make sure we got it right. But then again, he was out of state, so I didn't want to have to come back. Paid with cahiers check.
    Good Luck!
    Phil