Selling home - Traditional realtor or Help-U-Sell?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Andrew Grall, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Hi folks,

My wife has accepted a very nice job in Tucson, so we will be moving at the end of June. That's the good news! The bad news - we have to sell our 1 1/4 year-old house that we built.

We got burnt in the past trying to sell a house. It took forever and we ended up with a double mortgage for way too long. We would like to avoid that if at all possible.

There is still a lot of building going on in our area, but the fact that the house is already here, a popular model from the builder, and on the best lot in the neighborhood - hopefully all this will make it appealing.

We are going to be picking up/cleaning up over the next week and hopefulyl putting it on the market at the end of next week. The big dilemma is whether to go with a traditional realtor or to go with one of these newer services like Help-U-Sell.

With a traditional realtor, we would have to price our house higher to make certain we get back what we paid for it (6% commission). But perhaps this person would work harder to get the house sold. We really want to have an accepted offer by the end of April if at all possible so that we can house search in Tucson in May.

With Help-U-Sell, I believe it is a flat fee (~$2000) to list with MLS. Sounds like a great deal versus the realtor, but I'm afraid that the house won't get as much attention on the market. Sure, it will be in the MLS system, but is another realtor going to want to show our house when they would not get the normal commission on it?

Any input or experience on this topic would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Congrats on the big move !

This decision is based on how fast you need to move and how active the real estate market is in you area.

The DC/Baltimore area is still going smooth, so if it were me I would definitely do FSBO, but with the guidance of a great attorney to handle the paperwork.

But... it appears you may need to move quickly, so that is where the value of an agent comes in. They will push your house within their circles. Good luck !

3. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

If anyone tells you that an agent won't shy away from a house that is Help U Sell or FSBO, they are lying. Going that way is great if you have some time, but if you are in a pinch, find a motivated agent. Remember, as a seller, they work for you and you can even structure your contract with them. You can offer even an extra half percentage if sold within thirty days, normal 6% if sold in 30-60 and 5% if sold in 60-90 then you terminate. I have found this to be effective to get agents to move their asses and help you out.

4. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

"If anyone tells you that an agent won't shy away from a house that is Help U Sell or FSBO, they are lying. Going that way is great if you have some time, but if you are in a pinch, find a motivated agent. Remember, as a seller, they work for you and you can even structure your contract with them. You can offer even an extra half percentage if sold within thirty days, normal 6% if sold in 30-60 and 5% if sold in 60-90 then you terminate. I have found this to be effective to get agents to move their asses and help you out."

That's a great idea. When we sold our last house in a very slow market we offered a $1000. bonus to the selling agent which was posted in the MLS. That got the one interested party in several months to look at the property and buy.

5. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

My buddy and I both sold our houses in San Jose, CA last year using Help-U-Sell. When you use Help-U-Sell, you still have a realtor helping you. My realtor did everything that a "full service" realtor would have done except host the Open House, which my wife and I did. He took care of the MLS listing, flyers, getting people to the Open House, etc. We ended up with multiple offers after 2 days of an Open House and sold for well over the asking price. In the end, we saved approximately $15k by using Help-U-Sell. Granted, this was in San Jose where the houses pretty much sell themselves. YMMV.