What's new

Selling a house from out of state (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I have relatives from out of state who want to sell a house in my city. They are exploring all options but since they live hundreds of miles away it is not practical for them to fix up the house and get it ready for sale on their own. I can't see them hiring contractors to do roof and drainage repairs, painting, plaster, etc. from out of state. Should they just sell it to a discount homebuyer? Does anyone have experience in this situation?

(By the way, ME doing the work for them is not an option...I have my own house to worry about!)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Bob, you may want to ask the mods to change the title of the thread to "Preparing a house for sale from out of state?"

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Is there a lot of work that needs to be done, or just the usual touch ups? I've never sold my house from out of state, but the realtor we worked with when we sold our house had contacts for just about every job we needed to get done. I would imagine this is the same with most realtors.

I would think getting the work done would pay off more than selling it as a fixer-upper.

miranda_y

Auditioning
Real Name
Miranda Young
Have them call a real estate agent in your city who will advise the best route. They can sell the house 'as is' and their selling price is going to reflect that. If they dont want to do the repairs on the front end in a traditional sell, all the faults will certainly come up during a potential homebuyer's inspection and they will end up doing them anyway. Good luck!

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I think there is a fair amount of work that needs done--the floors are hardwood but pretty bad condition, and the basement is prone to flooding during long rainy spells. I think unless they get someone willing or able to help do the repairs, an "as-is" sale might be the way to go for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks