What's new

Self Powered Subwoofers (1 Viewer)

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Hi,

I was wondering about how powered subwoofers work. Since they have their own plate amps, are they independent from the receiver as far as their output? I guess my question is:

Since a powered subwoofer doesn't rely on the receiver for anything but the actual source of sound, will a sub sound more or less the same from receiver to receiver?

Thanks for your time,

Matt

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is true unless the receiver has some type of built-in EQ for the sub. I prefer to use external equalization for my subs since there are more options. One of the biggest factors in how a sub will sound will be placement in the room and how the sound waves react to that placement.

-Robert

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Robert,

Thanks for the quick and precise response. I'll look into sub placement. I hear that a good technique is placing the sub in the listening spot and moving around the room listening to the most common type of media you use.

Thanks again,

Matt

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The most accurate method would be to place the sub in your listening position at listening height. If your ears are 36" from the floor, then that's where the driver of the sub needs to be. It would be a major construction project to get my sub off the floor. Also you shouldn't listen for the loudest spot. Your ears are not very accurate. You should use an SPL meter and test tones at a resonable volume.

You will never find the perfect spot that will satisfy all listeners in your room. I tune my system for my spot and don't care about anyone else. They didn't help me build the room. But I do use EQ to flatten the response as much as possible for all seats.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andriesprice
Recent bookmarks