What's new

selecting sub crossover? (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
how do I go about selecting the correct subwoofer crossover. The problem is I don't know what the crossover is in my mains. they are rather old and dont even have a brandname. they have 10" woofers if that helps any. my sub is the JBL PB8
thank for the help ;)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Also, the sub crossover is set on the sub, not in the reciever. if that makes any difference. I will be away for a while so I won't be able to reply to any replies, but I'll be back! :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Peter, with no information on your mains, and if your receiver doesn’t do the filtering, all anyone can do is guess.

My guess is ~50-60Hz. Even no-name speakers with 10’s should be able to get that low.

You can count on some overlap between the sub and mains unless you find out what the main’s extension is. Your best bet would be to get some test tones and SPL meter and chart their response; then you can know where to dial in the sub. Barring that, you can just as well take it by ear. Your guess is as good as anyone else’s – better, actually, because you can hear it and we can’t.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

PeterK

Supporting Actor
What would I use to get those low frequencies? I think I heard some people talking about avia,avida? dvds? Also I am hooked up through LFE and I thought i read somewhere that you didn't need to set the crossover with LFE. is that true?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you have all your speakers set to small, you set the sub's x-over to max or bypass (if it has this) and let the receiver handle the crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks