Selectavision VideoDiscs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Wilson, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Ken Wilson

Ken Wilson Agent

Hi!
    I was helping an a/v retailer clean out an old warehouse, and we came across a box full of the old style "laserdiscs" (?) (1981 era). Those are the ones that were in a large plastic cassette that was inserted into the machine. (I'm not even sure how the system worked!) There are some good titles here, some still sealed.
    I'm looking for any information about a market for these things, who collects them and what they would usually sell-for. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ken Wilson
    (Wow, it's been a long time since I posted here, although I drop-in to see what's going-on. I usually find what I want without asking, just by searching. I registered with the HTF a few years ago, when the membership number stood at about 400 people, not 24,000!! [​IMG] )

2. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ken, Theese where not laserdiscs in fact they were Capacitance Electronic Discs (CED'sfor short.) Theese were out from around 1981-1986 and they were played using a stylus needle like a record but the discs had a different chemical composition They were invented by RCA here in America too. I believe you might find what your looking for at www.cedmagic.com. They have everything you would ever want to know about CED's.

3. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

If you are wanting to sell them I also see them on ebay quite a lot. If they are sealed in plastic like you said I think you could get a pretty hefty amount as some of them are rare.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

You could always send them right to me [​IMG] I have about 1100, and am still trying to get every title put out!

5. Ken Wilson

Ken Wilson Agent

Hi Kenny,
    Thanks for the info. I'll check those spots to see what the value might be. That would be as in MONEY, which I see that Jesse left out of his "offer" [​IMG] C'mon buddy, if you own 1100 of these things, you must be able to tell me what they're worth. Don't fib now; I'll find out!!! [​IMG]
    Ken

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I've paid an average of $5 for mine. The cheapest ones were 50 cents (used, in fair condition), the most I ever paid for a single disc was $20 for "A Hard Day's Night" which is a rather rare title (the only CED that MPI Video ever put out.)

7. Ken Wilson

Ken Wilson Agent

Hi again,
    Thanks Kenny, that is a great site!
    Thanks for your reply Jesse. That sound$ right from what I've learned. I've also learned that I don't have the Motherload here, the "Great Lost Discs", whatever... [​IMG] The only "uncommon" one I have, according to the CED Magic site, is "Heidi" (RCA version).
    Here goes, and HTF members have the first shot:
    The Graduate -2 copies, one sealed
    Goldfinger
    Play It Again, Sam - 2 copies
    Bad News Bears -5 copies, two sealed
    History of the World Part I
    Grease -sealed
    Fiddler on the Roof -two disc set, sealed
    Urban Cowboy -two disc set
    20,0000 Leagues Under The Sea
    Race For Your Life Charlie Brown
    The Godfather -two disc set, 2 copies
    The Black Stallion
    Love Story
    The Boys From Brazil
    Hey, not a bad bunch, eh? We'd prefer to sell these together as a lot. Some collector should be able to use the extras as trade bait, etc. We'll consider any reasonable offer, and if that doesn't work, I'll throw the list out on to a couple of other websites.
    Ken

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Check out www.cedmagic.com
    I'd also buy the cover art CD-ROM...the cover art is neat.
    I have two players that don't work (They're just for parts now) and the following discs:
    Some Like It Hot
    Superman: The Movie (2-discs)
    The Sound of Music (2-discs, stereo)
    The Wizard of Oz
    The Bad News Bears
    The Muppet Movie
    The Great Muppet Caper
    Dumbo
    Winnie The Pooh and Friends
    The Out Of Towners
    The Black Stallion (mono version)
    The African Queen
    Joan of Arc (Ingrid Bergman version)
    Singin' In The Rain (RCA edition)
    The Graduate
    The Elephant Man (2-discs)
    Fiddler on the Roof (2-discs)
    The Greatest Show on Earth (2-discs)
    Mary Poppins (2-discs)
    Patton (mono, 2-discs)
    The Pink Panther
    If you're interested in any, email me at [email protected]

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I have all those; "Race For Your Life Charlie Brown" was the very first consumer title to come out of the pressing plant, though there was a demo disc with an onscreen copyright of 1980 that probably was made before that. "Heidi" was the infamous TV movie that broke into a big football game in order to start on time.

I've got a ton of duplicate discs for sale or trade that I'll put up whenever I get around to it...

10. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I have a working player, and few of the discs (Mainly, I sought it out, and got 2001). Very neat little oddity.

11. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    I still have my player. I have all three Star Wars films and the first three Star Trek, Rocky and Superman films on CED. The pride of my collection though (besides the Star Trek - Mirror, Mirror disc signed by Barbara Luna ) is my complete collection of James Bond films. I have every one of the Brocoli produced films and all of the variations. The worst is the RCA version of You Only Live Twice which uses the ABC televsion cut of the film and the pre-credits sequence is shredded. The Fox version (which is also fake stereo) corrects this error.
    Neil

12. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I had one of these in High School. My parents had some friends that also had one so we'd swap 'em out.

The technology was strange but they blew away VHS at the time.

One title I had was "A Stranger is Watching" which I haven't seen in any other format since. I'd love to have it on DVD.

13. Larry P

Larry P Stunt Coordinator

Were laserdiscs out already when these were out in the early 80's and if so how did they/do they measure up to laserdiscs?