Seinfeld season 7

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jay_B!, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

we know it's coming (this is one title Sony will never abandon), but I wonder if the rumored May 16th date was true because it's 11 weeks prior and it's not mentioned here, when Sony has a knack for announcing their titles the Monday 11 weeks before street (Nanny was announced 2 weeks ago for 5/2 and Facts Of Life was announced last week for 5/9), is the seventh season of Seinfeld expected around May like people predicted?

I flew threw seasons 5 and 6 so fast that I'm still hungry for more

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'd bet that there will be an announcement for S7 before the end of the month.

3. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I consider myself one of the lucky ones... I watched Seinfeld religiously on NBC back in the day but I rarely watched the syndicated reruns, so most of these episodes are like new to me because I haven't seen them in a decade or more and I'm really enjoying these releases. It's a perk of barely watching syndication because I really can enjoy shows like Roseanne, Seinfeld, Golden Girls, etc... on DVD whereas a lot of my friends are burnt out on those shows

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm sure there's plenty of TV DVD owners that have experienced this phenomenon but I find that I used to watch Seinfeld all the time in syndication. Now it's almost down to only watching the episodes that haven't hit DVD yet. Part of it is burnout and part of it is being spoiled by the great discs.

Although there's some great episodes that I'll still watch just because they are on. And it is fun to ocasionally see syndicated episodes that are already on DVD and remember stuff from the text commentaries. [​IMG]

5. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

this has almost been a month ago... lemme guess, Sony got panicy when they realized they could actually finish Seinfeld? Kinda like they have been holding the last season of Good Times back out of panic that they don't wanna finish it (except they forget, when they finish certain shows... that means they can go back to other shows).

I was hoping for season 7 in the spring/summer and season 8-9 out for Xmas, but it looks like Sony isn't gonna do this, they had a really good schedule planned for this it seemed.

6. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Sony is now treating Seinfeld like Mackinaw peaches [​IMG]

I don't see the point in not finishing a show. Until they release the DVDs, they're just sitting on potential income. Someone more enlightened than me will have the answer.

7. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    I bought the Seinfeld DVD's and yadda, yadda, yadda I never heard from them again.

8. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about in regards to Sony finishing "Seinfeld", I believe it's the best-selling TV show on DVD ever.

I wish Season 7 was coming out next month like Season 4 last year but it obviously isn't gonna happen that way, but we'll get it eventually.

9. Shawn_Sm

Shawn_Sm Stunt Coordinator

Maybe they messed up and they are actually going to fix it BEFORE they release it. [​IMG]

10. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Sony doesn't announce stuff until like 6 weeks before release usually...

So there's still hope for a June/July release I'd say. Or even very late May.

11. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

^ actually, I found out the pattern is exactly 11 weeks before street

12. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, I am sure we'll see all the remaining seasons on DVD.... but I already kinda had it planned that I'd get to finish my Seinfeld and Golden Girls collections this year... but it looks like Sony is pulling with Seinfeld the same thing Warner did with Friends when the end of the sets was in sight... panic and start taking far too long intervals between sets. I'd rather see Sony finish Seinfeld by year-end so we'll have all the sets, and also so they can go back to concentrate on "lesser" shows as well.

13. Bill GrandPre

I wouldn't be surprised if we get 7&8 together in the gift set for the holidays so they can focus on the final season as a single item when it's released instead of lumping it in with the previous season.

14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That's an interesting possibility. My only problem with that would be that there'd be no way in hell that Sony will release S9 until holidays '07 then. They'll make sure that their final Seinfeld set(s) hit at Xmas. That's why I'm hoping that S7 gets announced soon and S8 and S9 hit at the end of this year.

15. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, season 9 is generally regarded as the weakest season of Seinfeld, season 7 is considered a classic... 7 can sell better on it's own and then wait for 8 and 9 together, it wasn't the same without Larry David IMO

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I tend to agree (although I like some of the insanity/goofiness of S8 and S9) but how many people buying the Seinfeld sets know or care when Larry David was on or off the show? I'd be willing to bet that it's a very small fraction of the consumers.

17. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well true, but the general consensus with people I talk to is that the show was getting weak by the last season. Season 9 has it's moments, but I think all in all, season 7 has more moments that could make it do well without another season tagged with it

18. Bill GrandPre

Also you have to consider the fact that Seasons 8 & 9 actually were the highest-rated seasons of the show.

The die-hard "Seinfeld" fans and the "Curb Your Enthusiasm" fans are aware of Larry David's contribution to the show (I was excited for Season 7 to come out next month so the "Larry Era" would be complete) but most people not only don't care, they'll look at the episodes included and be excited for 8&9.

Even without Larry David there were tons of fan-favorites in 8&9. I think the number of people that object to the lack of Larry in 8&9 is pretty small and I don't anticipate any significant drop in sales.