Seinfeld probably NOT coming to DVD anytime soon

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Silver, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

Eonline is reporting:

MASTER OF HIS DOMAIN: TBS ponying up another $200 million to continue airing reruns of NBC's Seinfeld through 2011.

Now, while i don't think Seinfeld fans will have to wait until 2011, if I were TBS I would be very pretty upset to pay $200 million and then have the producers de-value my investment by putting out DVDs. I would bet they have a "no DVD clause" in this contract for at least a certain window of time.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Good assement Mark, 2011 seems like a hell of a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if the series showed up on HD-DVD by the time the "no DVD clause" is up. I guess that's a good thing as long as interest in the show doesn't decrease over that time.

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

This is like Friends for me. It's on 3 times a day, why would I need to spend 400 dollars, or more, for the whole thing.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'm also positive that specified in said contract was the DVD window

5. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Mark Silver wrote (post #1):

6. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I don't fully understand all the ownership issues involved, but I do know this:

I own 2 Oz set, 2 Simpsons sets, 3 Friends set(plus best ofs, and The Mr. Show set. The fact that I own these has not stopped me (or my wife) from watching repeats on TV, so the whole concept of "if it's on DVD, then no one will watch it on TV syndication" argument dosen't make sense to me.

If you like a TV show enough to justify spending $$ on a season set, you probably like it enough that if you see it on the TV, you'll probably stick it out and watch it as well.

I can't be the only one with a remote glued to my hand and too lazy to put DVD in the platter when what I want to watch is on the telly! (movies excluded, although I have caught myself watching hacked up commercial filled features that I own, only to ask myself "what the hell are you doing?"

7. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

I've got plenty of TV properties on DVD as well, but that doesn't stop me from watching a syndicated episode should I come across it while channel surfing. I'm starting to think we'll never see Seinfeld on this format. [​IMG]

8. Skippy

Skippy Stunt Coordinator

One good reason is that the syndicated versions have A LOT cut from them, especially Friends. Sienfeld too, but to a lesser degree. The DVD versions of Friends are uncut, and in many cases have ADDITIONAL footage.

I too have multiple shows on DVD, but still watch all of them syndicated or in reruns.

9. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

10. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

11. Michael St. Clair

I virtually never watch syndicated programming of american shows. I wait for the DVD. After all these years, I think I've watched one episode of Seinfeld in syndication.

Yet I have friends who not only watch all of their favorite shows in syndication, but they actually watch just as much after they get the DVDs.

I am very skeptical that DVD availability has a substantial impact on the ratings of syndicated programming.

12. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

In the case of Seinfeld, the edits are increasing actually. I taped many episodes off syndication repeats back in 1998, but recently I've watched several episodes on TBS and also my local station. In almost every episode I've noticed a line being cut, roughly 10 seconds of show. And they're good lines! Apparently, as time goes on the shows get shorter.

13. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I remember a few months ago, someone had a quote from Jerry Seinfeld that said that he had no desire to release the show on DVD because he was getting plenty of money from syndication. This leads me to believe that he only sees it from his own point of view. To him, the issue is "Do I want the show on DVD?" He's forgetting that there are fans on the other end that really want it.