What's new

Seinfeld is coming next year! (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Everyone I know loves the Simpsons. But as for Seinfeld, I know more people that HATE it than can even tolerate it.
That's anecdotal evidence. I can actually tell you that in my case it's exactly the opposite. And that still means nothing.

I love both shows. But during its heyday, "Seinfeld" was one of the lynchpins of NBCs Thursday-night lineup, the most-watched night on TV. The show was a top-five regular, a status never attained by "The Simpsons".

If any TV box set is going to challenge "The Simpsons"'s reign as number-one seller, it's "Seinfeld".

John Simon

Second Unit
To us, Seinfeld is better than The Simpsons, but it has way less mass appeal than The Simpsons does.
Not sure how you're determining this. Seinfeld had much better ratings when it aired, and it's syndication ratings remain the highest for any sitcom on television. There's no doubt Seinfeld was, and is, a far more popular show than The Simpsons.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Seinfield had a great run with its nine seasons, and never really got old. The Simspons had a great run it its first 9 seasons, but now had gotten somewhat old :frowning: This is coming from a former Simpson fan, unfortunately.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay folks, get ready to GASP!

I have never watched but one or two episodes
of SEINFELD during its entire run.

So, answer me these questions so I consider how
I will purchase these sets....

1. How many seasons of Seinfeld were there?

2. Was the show funny right from the getgo, or
did it take a few seasons to really kick in?

3. Will I need to buy EVERY season that comes out?

Thanks in advance

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
1. How many seasons of Seinfeld were there?

10 or 11, I think.

Right out of the gate.

3. Will I need to buy EVERY season that comes out?

Well, there's no decrease in quality over the years, no "bad seasons".

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Ron, there were nine seasons of Seinfeld. According to both the TV Guide Special Edition Seinfeld issue and the Entertainment Weekly Definitive Viewer's Guide, season 1 only had 5 episodes.

There were some growing pains (Elaine wasn't in the pilot, Jerry's apartment was origianlly a studio, a different actor played Jerry's dad, etc.) but I personally think that the show was funny from the getgo.

Out of all nine seasons, I'd say the first eight seasons were funny and that the final season was grossly disappointing, despite a few good episodes scattered about. I'm a completist so I'll end up getting all nine sets, anyway. I also thought the final episode was subpar but the expectations were huge (like The Phantom Menace).

BrettB

Senior HTF Member

It didn't take a few seasons but there are at least a few of the first episodes that are quite lame and I find myself turning the channel when they come on. Exactly how many I'm not sure. It would seem to make sense to combine the first five episodes with season 2.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, guys.

I'll buy it season by season and guage it
by my enjoyment level.

StevenA

Second Unit
Ron, by all means start watching it from the pilot and proceed to Season 1, but the brilliance of the show, IMHO, didn't really develop until a few episodes in. Then the show developed further still in subsequent seasons, so by the time you get to the truly great episodes, the structure and complexity of the scripts, and the quality of the comedic performances, becomes just magnificent. It did take a while to get to that level (I can't remember exactly how long, but the early episodes, while certainly funny, are more slowly paced, and the characters took at least a season before they took the form we came to know and love -- especially Kramer).

By last season, and perhaps a little even before that, the show started to dip in writing and performance levels, IMHO, until we came to the most disappointing final episode imaginable, despite Larry David's return.

In between, though (i.e. for about 85% of the series), it was Gold, Jerry, Gold!! :D Sorry Ron, I've now lost you with a gratuitous in-joke for Seinfeld fans... ;)

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I like to think of Senfeld as a modern day Abbott and Costello TV show. Jerry himself admits he stole a lot of the ideas from that show. I believe there was one show where the beginning started off with Jerry asking Kramer or George that if he killed somebody would he turn him in. This leads to a lengthy discussion and is right out of the Abbott and Costello playbook.

Great stuff! :emoji_thumbsup:

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
2 things:

Ron, as a denizen of the NYC metro area, you'll find extra to laugh about.

Does anybody else think Kramer's face changed from the first dozen or so episodes to the rest. Almost like plastic surgery. My family doesn't see it when I note that an episode has the "old" Kramer on it. Or was it just his hair change?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The brilliant thing about Seinfeld was that pretty much all the actors and comedians were allowed to have bull sessions to come up with and discuss various jokes and storylines for the show. It wasn't just "here's your script now memorize it...because that's it" like many sitcoms today.

I think Jerry Stiller, once he came on as George's wild 'n' crazy father, had a lot of influence on the script too. He did work as a writer for (and actor/stand up with) many of the top comedians and TV personalities of his generation.

It was a bit of a coup to have as many gifted people on that show as Jerry and his colleagues were able to round up.

It was an ensemble cast in every sense of the word. Even Jerry, "the star" allowed himself to be "upstaged" by the others.

I'll buy every season as long as the quality is high.

Dan

StevenA

Second Unit
Tommy, you're right on with the A&C references.

They also do some hilarious "film noir" riffs at times. Elaine becomes a "femme fatale" type in one ep, and then there's the exchange between Jerry and Newman when Kramer goes to LA: "He split for the coast?" "The coast?" "Yeah, that's right, the coast. He thought he got a bad rap..." etc (or words to that effect).

Jeff: I also can identify the "Old Kramer". I think the difference is for two reasons. Firstly, in the pilot especially, and also in the early episodes, he played the character more as a doofus, as opposed to a hipster doofus (!) He kind of had his mouth opened in a dopey way. And secondly, in keeping with that persona, he was unshaven in the early days, making him look quite different.

StevenA

Second Unit
I think Jerry Stiller, once he came on as George's wild 'n' crazy father, had a lot of influence on the script too.
George's father has to be one of the most bizarre and original creations ever to grace the screen! He is creepy, hilarious, revolting and (almost) endearing all at the same time!

"I will not tolerate infestation!" :laugh:

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I loved Seinfeld when it originally aired on NBC. One of my favorite episodes was the 2-part "The Boyfriend". This is the one that guest-starred NY Mets First Baseman Keith Hernandez. The JFK parody in this episode was brilliant! :laugh:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I didnt discover SEINFELD until a year or two ago-had dismissed it as more of a 'yuppie sit-com' -then one day-bang! it hit me.

I was hooked, 6 days a week for 1 hour a night (2 episodes back to back)
I rarely missed it.

After watching many episodes several times, I can say that there may be only 2-3 that I might pass by- out of 9 years x 25 = what? 225-235 or more episodes? the show is THAT rewatchable-and funny!

I REALLY wish they would have gone for a 10th year-there was no letdown in quality as far as I was concerned-and we would have another 25-odd more episodes to watch !

But it was Jerry himself that shut it down, according to what ive read.

"I know I'll be picking up the set"- Art Vandelay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks