What's new

Seinfeld DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Pete D

Agent
I know this has been brought up before, but is there any new information on Seinfeld coming to DVD? I'd love to have each season come out like the Simpsons.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I will be very angry if a Seinfeld DVD collection did not include the two or three episodes that will no longer be aired on television.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Which episodes are those?
will no longer be aired. I originally heard it on CNN so I don't think its a local thing. I think their reason behind that was all the anthrax stuff. I did read somewhere that this episode will "return" on October 22, 2001 but I haven't seen it.

There may be a third, I'm not sure........

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I don't really remember the reason exactly, but some Puerto Ricans got upset over something.
It was when Kramer accidently lights the Puerto Rican flag and tries to put it out by stamping on it, and a bunch of people see him doing it.

I haven't heard anything and I don't expect any announcements soon. Wishful thinking though.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The Peurto Rican Day episode was not shown since it's original broadcast until just recently (about a month or so ago) in many areas. However, I have since seen it again.
I think there was discussion that the envelope licking episode would be pulled from syndication rotation temporarily due to the anthrax stuff. I'm fairly certain this was not a permanent measure, if it was ever even done at all.
I'd buy Seinfeld on DVD in a heartbeat.
Yada yada yada. :D

MikeAW

Second Unit
That's very nice, and Politically Correct of them to shield us from those nasty thoughts like!

I'm glad they think we are all that Stupid !

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
I think they signed a second syndication deal for something like a billion(?) dollars that just went into effect just last year.
I don't think you can realistically expect Seinfeld on homevideo in any format for a few years yet.
I hope I'm wrong, of course.

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
The Seinfeld DVD shortage reminds me of the famous Irish cereal famine of '72. Couldn't get a bowl anywhere. Bad. 'Tis a beautiful country though; lush rolling hills, and the peat, ah the peat.

Rich

(p.s. I'm ashamed of the other posters here -- if this had been a Python thread, it would have degenerated WELL before now!)

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, ... I don't know anyone who wouldn't buy every single season of Seinfeld on DVD!!! That is a sure-fire winner -- except for Seinfeld there has never been a series that made me laugh 'till I cried at every single episode. I don't know about the economics of syndication, but whoever owns the rights to this series is losing a TON of money by not releasing it on DVD. They just don't realize how incredibly well that would sell. People would still watch the re-runs, even if they did have it on DVD. The show is just that awesome!!!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I would trade my first born for Seinfeld on DVD...okay, well maybe not my first, bet definitely my second and third.

Leroy

Second Unit
Well, there are some Seinfeld DVD's out there somewhere. He reportedly handed out a 4 episode DVD to guests at one of the farewell parties.

This was reported in several publications like TV Guide, People etc.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Yeah, prior to the airing of the final episode Jerry had a special DVD created containing his favorite episodes and scenes. He gave a DVD player and a copy of the DVD to each of his co-stars and the production crew as farewell gifts.

Jeff

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Steve O wrote:
I don't know about the economics of syndication, but whoever owns the rights to this series is losing a TON of money by not releasing it on DVD. They just don't realize how incredibly well that would sell. People would still watch the re-runs, even if they did have it on DVD.
This is probably true, but, you see, the POINT is that the stations that have paid all that money---and whatever the figure is, it is a LOT of money---probably demanded an exclusive syndication window for "X"-number of years in return for handing over such high sums.
So, (if this speculation is all true) then the rightsholder probably knows perfectly well that it could make a bundle on the release of Seinfeld in whatever video format. If it's contractually obligated to withhold it from the video market for "X"-number of years, however, it HAS to do so. A lawsuit from those stations would eat up a lot of those profits, you can bet.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Man, they have Buffy and Friends, but no Seinfeld. What kind of world are we living in? Well, at least we're going to have ST:TNG soon.

-Marshall

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks