Seinfeld DVD Questions

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Next Weerk, the week of July 1st, Target is selling Seinfeld Seasons 1-6 for $19.99 per set. I have a question, if anyone knows the answer. Has Sony abandoned the series because if they have decided to stop releasing the series I'm not going to waste my time purchasing these sets. Can anyone hyelp me with this or does anyone know if Sony has future sets on the horizon?

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Sony abandon Seinfeld? I sincerely doubt they'd ever do something like that. Seinfeld brings in the dollars. However, look at the release dates below...

S1/2 Nov. 23, 2004
    S3 Nov. 23, 2004
    S4 May 17, 2005
    S5 Nov. 22, 2005
    S6 Nov. 22, 2005

Notice a trend? Most of the sets were released right around Christmas, except S4. I would expect another November release for 7/8.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Nothing is a sure thing in life... except Sony releasing Seinfeld DVDs this November.

4. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

They did release Season 4 in May last year, but I'd imagine that sales for that set weren't nearly as good as those sold around Christmas.

That's likely why we didn't see a release this past May.

I'd imagine that they'll release two seasons in November (and offer the collectible box set).

5. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

maybe Sony will go out and release all 3 seasons in November instead of making us wait until the end of 2007 for the last year

6. ethanTo

ethanTo Stunt Coordinator

Wow, 19.99, that is tempting. In my experience, they advertise things on sale like that, and then tend not to have them in their stores in stock! I don't know if this is because they are bought out so quickly, or because they try to be sneaky and use it to lure people into their stores to buy other crap!

I would suggest getting there and buying them early! But this is just the experience I had the last time I wanted to buy a well-advertised TV DVD on sale at target

7. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, Target generally issues rainchecks

8. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I doubt it, it would make more sense from a financial standpoint to bundle 7 & 8 together for the holidays and then focus on "The Final Season" the following holiday season.

9. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

but the final season is generally regarded as the weakest besides the first year. It's not like season 4 where it has the strength of a standalone release. Granted, it still got high ratings the last year, but it definately wouldn't be worth waiting a whole year for like 7 and 8.

10. Mark Talmadge

I can confirm that the sale is for $19.99 all next week, at least. I'm hoping it goes beyond next week for the sale as we did with Friends. Yeah, I work at Target. That would give me some time to buy the sets instead of buying them all at the same time.

I can also confirm that Target also gives out rainchecks for an item if it's sold out as well as offering a substitution on another set if it's not available currently for the sale.

11. ethanTo

ethanTo Stunt Coordinator

Damn! I asked the sales clerk and he just said they were all gone, and then I tried another store, and asked the sales clerk and she just said that they were all gone, and the next store was 30 minutes away!

Why couldn't those clerks have offered me the insight you guys have!

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah but the average person buying this set isn't thinking about the strength of episodes on the set, they're thinking that their dad (for example) likes Seinfeld and that's the new one so they'll get it for him for Christmas. Plus if it's released for the holidays, they'll promote the hell out of "THE FINAL SEASON OF SEINFELD NOW ON DVD!" even more than normal. [​IMG]

13. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Mark: That is only partially correct. Unless the policy has changed in the past three months since I left Target, they WILL offer a raincheck, but substitutes are not offered on CD's and DVD's. This started last fall because of ads like this where the DVD is pretty much 30-50% off the original price. Guests were using the substitution option to pick up high ticket sets that never or rarely go on sale, or if they do, it would not be for that high of a percentage.

14. Mark Talmadge

Eric, you're way wrong. I work at Target and I work in the entertainment department. Target does offer substitutions on DVD's and I know this because I work in that department. We offer substituions on DVD sales that happen to be highly sold to keep a sale in the store.

I've been working at Target for six years and we've always offered substitutions, just never on CD's.

15. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Yeah, I agree that the average customer doesn't really know (or care) about the changes in seasons 8 & 9, and I also believe that the huge ratings of seasons 8 & 9 will sort of balance out the negative opinions.

If any season will suffer, it's season 8, the only season with no Larry David content. Even with "Curb Your Enthusiasm" I think only a small part of the audience really knowingly cares about his involvement but among that section I can see people skipping season 8 and buying season 9 just for the finale. Even though most hated it, there are Larry fans that will want to own every episode he wrote.

16. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

That's strange. Outside of the god awful "Finale", season 9 is my favorite! I love "Frogger"! LOL!

17. Jonathan Peterson

Jonathan Peterson Second Unit

Isn't season 9 the one with the Merv Griffin stage episode? That is my personal favorite of the whole series.

18. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Yes...I love that one as well.

The finale was horrendous but season 9 is overall pretty good I think.

19. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Agreed. I don't think the last two seasons or so were horrible. They were a little heavy on the references and went too OTT sometimes, but a less-than-brilliant season of Seinfeld beats the "good" seasons of most shows.

20. Charlie Kaus

Charlie Kaus Agent

Does anyone know if this sale starts Saturday or Sunday? My closest target is slightly over 60 miles away so I don't want to get there and not have thme on sale.

Charlie