Segway Start Up Screen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

2. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Yes, they are quite the eccentrics aren't they!?

"Just wondering if any of the present Ambassadors of Glide have been given a citation or a warning for gliding on the sidewalk or in the streets of their respective cities? Glide On"

yes, Glide on!

3. Peter Kline

Paul,

According to the site I mentioned, nobody has yet been sited. Some have even copied the local laws and legislation to keep with them that allows them to use sidewalks in their city, although I doubt a police officer would "buy" that if he thought they were doing something wrong. One person even went to his local police station to show off the Segway, gave some of them instructions on how to ride it and went on his merry way. The only thing he didn't mention is whether he brought coffee and donuts. I'm seriously thinking about getting one by the end of the year.

Peter

(Don't know where Mary is.)

4. Peter Kline

Double post.

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I would like to know why anyone would spend US $5000 dollars for this thing. For 5Gs a person can buy a good motorcycle that would be more useful than a Human Transporter. The only reason I can see for anyone spending 5000 bucks on something as useless as the HT, is for the "thrill" of being the first person on the block to own one. The thing ranks right up there with skateboards and push-em scooters as a useless mode of transportation.

6. Peter Kline

Edwin. I think you don't get the point. This is not for motorcyclists or people who want to go somewhere fast and pollute. It is a green machine meant to augment everyday life. For example, I go shopping to a local supermarket. I work at home. I get in my car, drive 1 1/2 miles, park, get my groceries, get back into my car and drive home. What a waste of fuel. As in any new idea (the car was called an abomination by some when it came out) you have to think differently and expand your pre-concieved ideas. The Segway has already shown itself to be useful for mail delivery, warehouse use, patroling downtown Atlanta and a mirad of other situations. The price is steep right now. But so were desktop computers. Ten years ago they cost upwards of $5000 for the most advanced models. Prices will eventually come down. [​IMG]

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I would want one too. Like Peter, the stores here are far enough away that I don't want to walk there, but close enough that I would use a Segway. Of course, $5K is way too much for me, but as soon as they come down in price (I'm thinking

8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

There is something a lot greener than a Segway for short duration trips: The common bicycle. Furthermore, with a good set of saddle bags the carrying capacity of the bicycle would be greater than the Segway. A person cannot get any greener than that, except for walking.

Right now, where I live the Segway would be relegated to the basement 8 months out of the year. Well....except maybe this year, but this year is weird anyway....January and no snow. If the temperature wasn't so close to freezing, I could almost think I was in Florida.

9. Peter Kline

For some a bicycle is fine. Why not an alternative? Segways are being used in Seattle by a couple who got the first ones from Amazon. Weather is a problem, even with bicycles. I'm not putting down other means of travel, but having alternatives is not wrong. Choices are good. [​IMG]

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I can go pretty fast with my bike and I am not polluting. My bike commute to work only takes me about 10-15 minutes slower than if I drove and my bike route is about 1/2 mile longer because I avoid the state highways and go the back roads. The reason for this is the amount of traffic and lights that are on the state highway.

Like Edwin-S says, bike panniers can hold a lot of stuff. With just two full sized rear panniers, I can hold two gallons of milk and have room leftover to carry a newspaper, a loaf of bread and other smaller items. I figure with front panniers, I would be able to carry even more stuff but I typically have no need to get that much groceries for myself.

In the winter, it is still fairly possible to bike, just be careful for the black ice on the roads and the plowed sand/snow on the sides, but for the dedicated, it's certainly possible.

Jay

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Riding a bike in 100 degree heat is not my preferred mode of transportation. I get drenched in sweat even after 10 minutes of riding, so it's virtually unusable here for at least 6 months of the year, unless I'm going home or somewhere where I can shower. That's why I'd want a Segway.