What's new

Sega Will Now Charge To Play All Their On-Line Games, Except PSOv.1 (1 Viewer)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif

icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif

furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
laugh.gif
I remember when UO was released, it was exactly the same. If the game merits the online fee people will pay it to play. Don't like it? don't buy it and eventually companies will make the necessary changes to attract more players. I knew a LOT of people that had multiple EQ accounts so that they could play 2 characters at once even though they had to pay twice the amount a month...
Dean

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
You make a valid point, but both of the games you cited as examples are PC titles. Most PC gamers tend to be a little more tolerant of those kind of things than the average console gamer. For example, I've tried numerous times to explain to people why patches are needed for PC software, and I get the same blank stares EVERY single time.
I can't possibly imagine the console buying public jumping on board a pay-for-play model. There's definitely a future for online gaming, but the current business model needs some tweaking.
Personally, the only game I've seen that I feel compelled to pay for continously is Star Wars Galaxies -- and that will certainly eat the rest of my budget for any other title. I couldn't afford to support 3-5 games per month!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Well Kelley, could you please explain this bit of juicy info to the rest of us? You make such a statement then don't follow throug with it. What gives?
------------------
My Top 10 Movies http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005503-6.html#146

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
John,
The reason why I haven't came out and said anything solid about it is that fact that none of my sources have a solid date as to when this will happen. It might not even happen until next year sometime, or hell it could never happen(which I SERIOUSLY doubt). In the PS2 thread I have dropped so many hints that to me just seem crystal. To be honest with you I am surprised nothing has happened yet, I almost wonder is Sega will quietly carry out their plans....which will be not to smart if you ask me.
I used to work for a mall toy store in 95 - 99 and I remember Sega Genesis games costing only $9.99 from like 97 on. Sega had a huge stock pile of inventory that cost them money to store, I don't think they want that again, as they are trying to save money.
[Edited last by Kelley_B on October 25, 2001 at 07:59 AM]

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
It's supposed to happen by Nov. 1st this year. My online NFL2K2 league has been shutdown because of this. The comissioner writers for gamers.com and that's what he has posted on there web site and our league web site.
------------------
Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickLanzetta
Recent bookmarks