What's new

Sega GT 2002, initial impressions (1 Viewer)

Romar Armas

Second Unit
I modified my Clio Sport to 474HP and I smoked the new Viper GTS in 1/4 mile. However, in the road courses it has too much power. I'm having problems controlling the beast in turns.

paul e.

Agent
the only way i can use my gt concept is to floor it on straights then brake hard just before corners, then just barely apply any throttle until you're straight again.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tips regarding special prizes. I've had this game for two days now, and after a little initial disappointment (due to graphics which I thought was worse than GT3) I soon started to like it. The special prizes have been driving me up the wall in anger and frustration though!

Also thanks to Romar for the trigger in menu trick. Does anybody have some kind of a guide to which cars opens which races though?

Personally I bought the Toyota Celica 1600 as my first car, and spent the rest of the cash on tuning, and won quite easily my first races. After a while I added a little tuning, and spun out of control the first turns, but soon figured it out. I did win a Jaguar (E-type mk2 I think) the second car I bought was a Toyota Supra which is now tuned to something like 400 hp.

The licences are also a good warning. I did get the first licence, but luckily tested some event races before continuing, and noticed the difficulty level had rised a little. Haven't dared to try another licence yet.

I'll repeat the question in case it got lost in my ramblings. Are there any kind of guide as to which cars opens up which races? I don't need a complete guide at all, just one example if you have one. (I can access 70's 90's and wynding road right now)

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Also thanks to Romar for the trigger in menu trick. Does anybody have some kind of a guide to which cars opens which races though?
Use the Left Trigger for this. :D When you're in the Garage and changing cars, press the Left Trigger and you'll see which Event races the car can participate in.
Do the same when you're in the Car shop. I just went through each manufacturer and pressed the Left Trigger for each car to see which races they can be in.
Just a note. Try to win all the prices in each event race before getting your next license. I read somewhere that you will get new prizes after you get your license which could mean you'll get new cars to win.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'm enjoying this quite a bit so far. Between this and Jet Set Radio I have not even opened Halo....maybe later today!

Dan B

Screenwriter
The licences are also a good warning. I did get the first licence, but luckily tested some event races before continuing, and noticed the difficulty level had rised a little. Haven't dared to try another licence yet.
The competition definitely heats up each time you pick up a new license. I'm learning that the hard way. It's probably a good idea to get a lot of cash before taking the next license test. ;)
So far, I'm enjoying the game, but I personally would prefer more tracks & less cars. Or just more tracks. I'm still early in the game, though. First season, B license.
-Dan

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Sega GT was nothing but a big dissapointment for me, so much so that I sold it on ebay a week after getting it. It really just is a poor man's Gran Turismo, with the only innovations being minor and inconsequential throwaways. If Sega was serious about competing with GT3, Sega GT should have had at least double it's current car total, and triple or quadruple the number of tracks present. Also, it's sad, but GT3 in all of it's messy line doubled glory looked better than a 480p Sega GT on my tv. As for the little touches like the garage, car damage, wear, ect.....I guess it's the thought that counts. It would be nice if Sega got SERIOUS about them and actually made them worthwhile though.

As a side note...I was able to buy the best car in the game and have it fully modded in under 4 hours of game clock time with no cheating/faqs, and I finished the game a few hours after that.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
Supposedly Sega is releasing a add on disc for this game that supplies another 100-300 cars and 10-15 tracks plus online play. For those of you that have played motogp on xbox live. Imagine how sweet this would be.

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
Now that's gonna be sweet. I guess I should start playing this again and building up some cars.

Gamertag: SPAZ

Romar Armas

Second Unit
To me, SEGA GT isn't about getting the best car and beat everything out of it. I enjoyed it because I was able to soup up cars and use them since I would never be able to touch any of them in real life. I majorly souped up my R34 GTR so now I can beat the best cars.
I haven't even bought the GT40 yet. Would I ever? Maybe once I'm done souping up other cars, then I will.
I'm just preparing for the time the Add-On disc shows up so I can have lots of cars ready. :D I haven't sold any of the cars I've won.
This game is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy it and along with Project Gotham and RalliSport, it's a good addition.

Joe_Udo

Auditioning
SEGA GT is great. I like it much better than Project
Gotham (rented it for a week.) The rival cars in PGR
is like a tank, they keep turning my car around.

My first car in GT was the Peugeot 206. I got through 2 licenses and got the 350Z. But I'm starting over because I can't win the 70's, 80's races with license A.

The only problem I had with the game is the tracks are
too windy. I guess I'm used to playing GT2, a lot of
straights, even Laguna Seca.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
While I agree Gran turismo 3 has better graphics and is still my favorite car game, Sega GT is still really fun. I think mainly because it's less frustrating than GT3, Sega GT has a more arcade feel to it, and I like them both for what they are. I might end up getting the add-on disc for Sega GT as well.

I also have Rallisport and I love it. Have raced all the tracks there though so the novelty is kinda going down. Have thought about Project Gotham racing as well, but didn't dare get it because I was a little vary about the kudos system which I was afraid would rub me the wrong way. Too bad I can't rent X-box games over here.

Joe_Udo

Auditioning
The kudos system is actually a lot of fun, but really frustrating when you get stuck. You can probably pick PGR up used for pretty cheap these days.

In Sega GT, I have been noticing black dots and abbrations on the screen after going off the track. At first I though it was a bug, but maybe it's suppose to be grass and dirt flying around? Anyone seen this?

Dan B

Screenwriter
Joe, yeah I think there is some kind of debris effect when you go off the track. It is kind of odd though...if I recall correctly (as I don't go off the track often :D) it mostly appears near the top of the screen so it's kinda hard to get a good look at it.
-Dan

Chad Seymour

Stunt Coordinator
Question on the License Test "B":

What is the trick for this course? I ran it about 20 times last night, but can't seem to break the slowest time needed (1:46:00). I consistently get between 1:47 and 1:49, but I can't seem to shave off those extra few seconds. How do you do it? To beat the test's #1 rating, you have to do it in like 1:36, which seems impossible to me right now...

Chad

Romar Armas

Second Unit
The best way I found is to properly Apex each turn. This can shave your times by quite a bit. Enter the turn wide and move right into the inside of the turn and then exit wide. You won't have to brake as much and you can keep a higher speed during turns.

Joe_Udo

Auditioning
Go to the event mode and race on that track a bunch of time to get the feel of it.

I think the key to that track is the last few turns. There is a long straight and then an S (left then right) right before the end. You have to slow down a lot before you start the S curve. If the car is too fast it's really tough to come out of that turn properly. Your finger should be off the brake when you start turning and not touch it again.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
Also don't brake unless you have to. Some of those corners you can go through with full or mid throttle. Make sure you're using the triggers for gas and brake. Also I found that when I went through the game the second time using manual transmission the tests were much much easier. Staying in the power band is huge.

ethan_l

Stunt Coordinator
I just started playin GT2K today and I must say I'm very impressed. I'm also own GT3 and got just about every single car in the game. I've also been a great fan of the series since the PS1 days. So of course I was very biased towards GT2K at first.

when I started out my first race the blur effect totally threw me off I didn't know what the hell was going on
but as time went by I got used to it and it seems little annoyin to me but don't really effect the game much

also at fist I thought the graphics didn't match up to GT
but when that first replay started, my jaws dropped.

The car models are just as detailed as the GT3 but they have much better reflection effects and even soft lense flare that bounces off the car when it's really bright. If you happen to be driving a light colored car and is going towards the sun... the lighting effect will make it so realistic that u won't believe it's game. I must also mention the extremely high res texture mapping through out the courses. U may not notice this while driving since you're pretty much stuck in a single view point. But pay attention in the replays and u'll see what I mean. This is something GT3 would've never been able to pull off due to PS2's limitations.

Level design and gameplay is also top notch and doesn't get boring like in GT3. This is probably because they added the damage system which is like a health bar that goes down when u get hit. In cicuit battle modes u must race against several cars in 1 on 1 duals with only a single "life" bar making it almost like the survival mode in DOA3. So you actually have to avoid getting hit or hitting your opponent, something that's very much encouraged in GT3, which makes it unrealistic.

The only other complaint I have is that u can't customize the controls like in GT3, but the layout is pretty much the same. In fact when I plug my PS2 controller to XBOX via a converter, it was like driving GT3 all over again. But I found that by using the offical controller you get much better rumble effect. You can actually feel the engine shake even you floor the gas during acceleration.

GT2K and GT3 should be considered the 2 best simulation racers out there right now. They're pretty much matched
maybe GT2k beats GT3 in the graphics department by a little

we can only wait to see if GT4 will be the next evolution in racing games

PS
holy crap this is a long post, I know, I'm just exited cuz I played my own XBOX today for the first time...like a virgin..for the very first time...like viiir....damn it
how did that song get into my head

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks