Sega Genesis question (I love retro:))

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Romier S, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Ok guys.. I was kind of curious. I bought the smash pack for the dreamcast recently and am utterly disgusted by the crap job they did on the sound emulation. Besides that though the games have never looked better because of the s-video connection I use for my dreamcast (and all consoles if possible). It got me to thinking. Did the Genesis have an s-video cable? I remember reading that Sega did not build this into the Genesis hardware. I know there is a composite cable that is available (I actually just ordered one[​IMG]) but I would love to have the original games through s-video.
    The reason I am so crazy to have this is very simple. SNES games look astonishly beatiful through s-video. Nintendo did good by having this available for the SNES! Nice vibrant colors, no bleeding, sharp graphics! Thats how you play these classics! The smash pack got all that right but I just cant deal with the sound!
    So my question again dear friends is was there ever an S-video cable for the Genesis? If not is there any way to rig the console to diaply in s-video? My retro needs must be satiated![​IMG]

2. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

Yes there was. I remember my friend getting one since his TV was new.

3. Michael St. Clair

No version of the Genesis released in the United States has s-video. Neither did the foreign versions.
    There are only 2 ways I know to get Genesis s-video.
    1) Certain 'late model' Genesis 2 units have a chip onboard with the right pins, you can tap these pins and modify the console to put out s-video. This won't give you s-video for 32X, though.
    2) The JVC 'Wondermega', which is the japanese version of the X'eye (Genny and CD all-in-one unit), has an s-video jack.
    Ironically, all Genesis and derived consoles (except maybe the Genesis 3) have interlaced RGB output.
    I have a Genesis 1 with 32X, a CDX, and a Nomad.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Couldn't you get an emulator and a LEGAL ROM and play them on your computer and then get an S-video output from it?

Or, you could make your own ROM of a game you own, which is legal.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Emulators just aren't the same, Morgan. Especially on older systems, where games are accessing the hardware directly. And, besides, having the actual original hardware in your hand feels better - it's what the game was designed for, as opposed to a compromise.

6. Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit

You're right. Emulators just aren't the same. In alot of cases, they're better!

GENS, a Genesis emulator, allows you to run in all sorts of resolutions, has virtually perfect sound emulation, and has amazing compatibility with almost every single rom.

Playing any Genesis game in high-res using Kreed's Super Eagle interpolation graphics engine on a good monitor is absolute bliss.

Additionally, if you feel like doing a little hardware hacking, you can connect a real Genesis controller via your parallel port with the correct software (can't think of it at the moment). Personally I find that the original MS Sidewinder pad is a more than suitable replacement for the Sega 6 button controller.

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Guys...I love emulation and I have a ton of emulators for the Genesis, SNES and about every system imaginable, but I love the feel of sitting in front of my TV playing these games. Even better if I was playing them on the original console (although I'll take what I can get[​IMG]) Call it nostalgic but its what I like. I dont get the same feeling while I'm at the computer.
    The s-video output on my videocard could be a possible solution but the problem is my gaming TV is in a whole other room![​IMG] It would make it difficult for me to set that up.
    As I said I went ahead and ordered the composite cables for the Genesis as it is still better than the RF cable (UGH!).
    I heard rumors Sega is gonna be releasing the smash pack on the X-box and the PS2. God I hope they fix the sound! If they fixed the sound this wouldn't be much of an issue for me as I would still have Streets of Rage 2 in all out s-video glory! Mind you it would still be better if the Genesis could pull off s-video. Makes me want to try and hunt down one of those WonderMega consoles.

8. Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit

I do definitely agree that there is something, some special feeling, that you get when you own the actual cartridge and are playing it on the actual console, with the original controller.
    Alot of the time though, I find the experience to be improved with enhanced graphics courtesy of emulators that support interpolated graphics engines such as GENS and ZSNES.
    I suppose alot of the reason that I usually "retrogame" on the computer as opposed to the actual console is that I am lazy and don't feel like pulling out the old systems and disconnecting them and reconnecting them.
    Once my setup includes a few decent A/V switch boxes and ample storage space for easy access to my older consoles (NES, SNES, Genesis, 32x, TG-16, PSX, & Saturn), I would probably just play everything on my consoles, save for the rare titles that I can't find in original form [​IMG]

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Ahh, the Sega 6-button. Argueably the best controller overall I have ever used (tho the Saturn Japanese controller is a close second).

The D-Pad was amazing, and mmmm. Great pad for Street Fighter

10. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Graeme,
    Never had a single issue with teh original Sidewinder. I play ample amounts of Punch out and Super Punchout[​IMG] and I have yet to have problems with rapid tapping. Its unfortunate that Microsoft discontinued this particular gamepad. Even though it does not have an analog stick or anlog support I still consider it be the best gamepad available for the PC.

12. Graeme Clark

I really like the pad otherwise.

I should try out Super Punchout and see if it could be something other than the pad.

13. Graeme Clark

Well, super punchout wasn't a good test as you don't actually have to hit the buttons to get up.

14. Romier S

Romier S Producer

hmmmm
    I dont know what to tell you Greame[​IMG]. The only option I would suggest to you is try and find one of the original pads on Ebay. They shouldn't go for too much and the ability to daisy chain multiple pads is feature that is well worth it.

15. Graeme Clark

Well, to get back onto topic. The Genesis 3 has an AV Port similar to the Saturn. It has 9 pins, 3 are used on the composite cables.... are the other 6 just useless?

16. Michael St. Clair

The Genesis 3 uses the same pinout as the Genesis 2, however, audio is supposedly only mono, and I don't know if the RGB pins are actually active. Nintendo SNES2 uses the same pinout as the SNES, but they killed both S-video and RGB to save costs.
    The Genesis 3 and the later revision of the Genesis 2 not only have a chip where you can hack s-video, but the composite encoder chip is supposedly MUCH better, resulting in substantially better composite video.

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Well, I got the composite cables today and hoooke my Genesis up to it. Much better quality than the RF switch. I guess I'm a bit happier now. It isn't S-video but it will have to do for now. I might try to get my hands on another genesis to try and modify to display S-video. Anyone have any good reliable instructions on how this is done?

18. Michael St. Clair

19. Graeme Clark

Popped open my Genesis 3 again, had the chip on it.

20. Michael St. Clair

Graeme,
    The Gen3 may be the best system to mod, then. Well, as long as the output is stereo. It came with a mono cable (that allegedly connects to the 'left' pin, not the 'mono' pin). But I've never heard a definitive answer as to whether the output is truly stereo if you hook up a Gen2 stereo av cable.