Sega Dreamcast RGB output to Component?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WesleyHester, Mar 19, 2003.

1. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    I have the RGB cable for the Dreamcast. Is there a way to convert the Dreamcast's RGB output to Component Video without spending over $200? Of course audio will then be a problem too.

I already have a Key Digital KD-VTCA2 Digital VGA (RGB) to Component Converter/Transcoder but could not get it to work.

I have my X-Box, PS2 and GameCube all connected via Component Video and it would sure be nice to have the Dreamcast connected that way too because its image quality is still quite good compared to the "new kids on the block".

I using two Inday RGB4X-R Component Video Switchers to allow for the video game systems and my Denon 3803 with DVD and HD Satellite and also for another DVD player and a DVHS Player.

2. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

You need a Dreamcast VGA adapter, usually used to connect the DC to a computer monitor. They are very common on eBay (~$10, for "buy it now"). You can then connect an RGB monitor cable from the DC adapter to your component converter and from there use component cables into the set (or switcher, as it were). My tv has an RGBHV input, so I was able to go right into the tv with that type of cable. If your set has a 15-pin VGA input you can hook the VGA adapter directly into there.

If you haven't yet seen the Dreamcast in VGA, it is incredible. 480p, years before the Xbox. Soul Calibur, Ecco, JGR, Shenmue, MSR, all look fantastic. Most games that support VGA look great (and the rest can often be "tricked" into displaying in VGA mode), but there can be some more "jaggies" than in normal mode. The games that can look worse are mostly the 2-D Capcom fighters.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    the majority of DC games support 480p, only a small handful do not. And this is TRUE 480p, not upconverted like most ps2 'vga boxes'.

How i dream to play dreamcast at 480p on a bigscreen rather htan my monitor [​IMG]

4. WesleyHester

John Hester
    Aleen_Appel, I have the Dreamcast VGA adapter that I purchased off of ebay a few months ago. My Panasonic PT56WXF95 HDTV doesn't have a RGB input.
    My biggest problem is that I couldn't the Key Digital VGA Converter to do anything with the signal. It does have several settings via DIP switches and maybe I didn't get it right.

Also, how do you get sound with the VGA hookup?

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, the VGA box should be the missing link in your system.

The VGA box has an audio output on it. Either RCA jacks, or a headphone jack.

6. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

My Madness Gameware DC-VGA Adapter has VGA, S-Video, and composite RCA outputs and two headphone jacks. The composite RCA outputs are active even when using the others, so I use those for my audio.

I'm a little confused as to your HT set-up, Wesley. Your HDTV doesn't have any component (aka RGB) inputs? What brand of DC-VGA adapter do you have? I'm assuming you connected the VGA adapter to the component transcoder with a 15-pin male-to-male cable and then ran RGB component cables to the switcher? The chain should run: DC-->VGA adapter-->VGA to RGB transcoder-->component switcher-->tv.

7. WesleyHester

John Hester
    The Dreamcast cable I have looks like this one. (I'll have to check tonight when I get off work if mine has the headphone jack or not - I don't even know).

Didn't know about the "box" though.

As for Component Video I'm talking about RCA (Red, Blue and Green cables).

My television has two Component Video (Red, Blue & Green) inputs, both of which are compatible with 480I, 480P, 720P (my set can display it natively) and 1080i.

Thank you all for the VGA Box information (can't believe I didn't see it before). I just ordered one off of ebay and look forward to having most of my Dreamcast games in 480P. Currently I only have S-Video which is being converted, by the Denon Receiver, to component with no loss or improvement in picture quality.

Just FYI: I feel anyone with a home theater should like the X-Box more just because of its basic support of Dolby Digital (dts is possible) and HDTVs (mostly 480P though). I have to personally go with the GameCube next because of its support of 480P (mostly not 16:9 though, yet?) and its great games too. I can't believe Sony didn't look further ahead with the PS2 but I have very high respect for the unit's backward compatibility (that's major in my book mainly because it should be very important but nobody even tries to do it and do it right). I have to say though that with the PS2 connected via Component Cables, and making use of my HDTV's line doubler, the games look pretty damn good (some more than others) and DVDs look good. I've even read somewhere that maybe there are some PS2 games with progressive video out? Not sure about that yet though.

Anyway, thanks. It's been cool talking with someone who knows something about this stuff.

8. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

Some Dreamcast games state "VGA box" on the back (Metropolis Street Racer) and others state "VGA cord" (Re-Volt). I'm not sure what makes the difference. I know that in order to use my TV to display the DC's 480p output, I needed this VGA break-out cable to connect the VGA adapter to my TV's component input. Since the input had the H-sync and V-sync jacks, I didn't require the VGA-Component converter.

You will be amazed at how good some Dreamcast games look, particularly Soul Calibur, Ecco and Shenmue. I have and enjoy the Xbox, GameCube and PS2, but I find most of my gaming time is spent with the Dreamcast. Maybe it's just that it's my newest toy, but there are so many great games for it, and in more genres than found on the others.

9. WesleyHester

John Hester
    I agree with you about the Dreamcast. Currently I still have more games for it than the X-Box, GameCube and PS2 combined but this has alot to do with my current budget situation with Home Theater and DVDs taking more $$.

In my opinion, Soul Calibur with just a straight S-Video connection kicks major buttocks to this day!

I've purchased several, what I think are good, titles for the Dreamcast on the cheap and love'em. I use to trade and sell off my older games but now I don't and wish I never did. I have a pretty good video game system collection going (3D0, Jaguar CD, Phillips CD-i Digital Video, SNES, N64, GameCube, Genesis 32X CD, Neo Geo CD, PS1, PS2, X-Box and a Saturn) but not as many games for each as I would like though. I probably have more PS1 games than any other.

Anyway, I haven't experienced true HD gaming yet, just 480P. However X-Box games like Unreal Championship and many others look very, very good.

10. Jean-Yves

Jean-Yves Auditioning

In VGA mode Dreamcast use 640x480 at 60Hz (4/3 mode), does-it correspond to NTSC 480p in 4/3 ?