What's new

Seen The 1959 Hercule's Threads - But does anyone really know who has the US rights to the film? (3 Viewers)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Yes seen the thread about 1959's Steve Reeves Hercules but a simple question - does anyone know who has the USA video rights MGM said they do not - Cristaldi Films said they do not DOES anyone really know. Is it PD? Because tons of companies sell it on DVD all in terrible quality copies which can only be used as mini frisbees!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yes seen the thread about 1959's Steve Reeves Hercules but a simple question - does anyone know who has the USA video rights MGM said they do not - Cristaldi Films said they do not DOES anyone really know. Is it PD? Because tons of companies sell it on DVD all in terrible quality copies which can only be used as mini frisbees!
With such a wave of 6th gen coppies out there, maybe it's gone PD??? I know I'd love to see a remastered 2K BRD of Hercules vs the Moonmen!!!

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
People are conflating two entirely different concepts: essentially, no post-1925, non-US works are public domain in the US – or anywhere else for that matter.
This film belongs to somebody 100%; what remains to be seen is whether they claim(ed) their copyright and intend to enforce it.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Joseph E. Levine acquired the U.S. distribution rights to this film, which he retitled "Hercules", for $120,000. Levine called it, "One of the worst pictures I ever saw, but I knew it had great appeal. There was a market for anything then." Levine publicized it on TV and it grossed a million dollars in its first ten days.
The film was passed over by the major U.S. distributors. An employee of MGM told former exhibitor Joseph E. Levine about it, and Levine flew to Italy to see it. He liked what he saw and acquired the U.S. rights. It became a smash hit and started the craze for Italian-made muscleman spectacles. His breakthrough came the following year 1958, with Hercules,starring Steve Reeves and released by Warner Bros.. Levine invested $120,000 on dubbing, sound effects and new titles and spent $1.25 million on promoting the film. It was one of the highest-grossing films of the year, with rentals of $4.7 million.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Joseph E. Levine acquired the U.S. distribution rights to this film, which he retitled "Hercules", for $120,000. Levine called it, "One of the worst pictures I ever saw, but I knew it had great appeal. There was a market for anything then." Levine publicized it on TV and it grossed a million dollars in its first ten days.
The film was passed over by the major U.S. distributors. An employee of MGM told former exhibitor Joseph E. Levine about it, and Levine flew to Italy to see it. He liked what he saw and acquired the U.S. rights. It became a smash hit and started the craze for Italian-made muscleman spectacles. His breakthrough came the following year 1958, with Hercules,starring Steve Reeves and released by Warner Bros.. Levine invested $120,000 on dubbing, sound effects and new titles and spent $1.25 million on promoting the film. It was one of the highest-grossing films of the year, with rentals of $4.7 million.
WB has nothing to do with the film now though.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
WB has nothing to do with the film now though.
no telling where Hercules and Hercules uncained are, made under Embassy 1958/1959, later Avco Embassy films in 1967, they were bought out by Paramount 1963, a series of companies, Newline EG, MGM/Orion, WB seems to be mother to the rebooted New Line Cinema Distribution under NLEnter. 1994 I'm seeing Turner's name coming into the picture...Levine left in 1974.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There was a French "uncut widescreen edition" now oop, and Retromedia used the french version as thier copy. here is som chatter about the new remastered BRD from France
Originally Posted by Joseph Goodman View Post
Well, it does promise "Master 2K Restaure" on the packaging, so maybe it will be better than the appalling Japanese set from 2019. The odd thing is, this Artus release is licensed from a different company (Movietime SRL) than the Japanese set (which came from Cristaldifilm).

Back when Kino Lorber announced they were releasing HERCULES IN THE HAUNTED WORLD, they revealed that they'd looked into the Steve Reeves pair, but there were "rights issues" involved. Given the two different companies credited on the releases mentioned above, it's not hard to imagine a labyrinthine rights division across different territories.

And this isn't even addressing the different English versions...
Yep, that adds up to a mess where I would imagine most boutique labels would just say it's not worth the hassle and forget about it which I can't blame them for doing so.

Attachments

• travaux-d-hercule-les-combo-dvd-blu-ray-livre-mediabook.jpg
    travaux-d-hercule-les-combo-dvd-blu-ray-livre-mediabook.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 92

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
no telling where Hercules and Hercules uncained are, made under Embassy 1958/1959, later Avco Embassy films in 1967, they were bought out by Paramount 1963, a series of companies, Newline EG, MGM/Orion, WB seems to be mother to the rebooted New Line Cinema Distribution under NLEnter. 1994 I'm seeing Turner's name coming into the picture...Levine left in 1974.
It looks very complicated. Whoever owns the rights may not even realise they own them!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Artus Films messaged me the reason their release was canceled was the materials were not in good shape. They also said they do not know who has USA rights

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks