Seems so simple... Where is my DTS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tommy_C, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Tommy_C

Tommy_C Stunt Coordinator

I have a Pioneer VSX-45 and a DV-45A Dvd player. I am trying to watch a DTS-ES movie and it will not work. I see on my DVD player that the DTS is on, but my receiver comes up Dolby Pro 2. If I click the 5.1 in the DVD then the receiver goes to Dolby Digital. I confirmed all my hook ups and they are where they should be. (Dig Coax, and also Analog 5.1 for the dvd-a) My manual does not talk about having to switch to DTS-ES so I would assume it would detect it and use it?

Thanks
    TC

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Tommy are you going into the DVD menu itself after you plop in the DVD and choosing DTS under Languages or Sound options? You will have to select the DTS option manually. If your receiver supports DTS this will be the fix. You will have to do this each and every time you want DTS if it is a option on the DVD.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Tommy,

Shouldn't need a special setting for ES. The problem 99% of the time with DTS is a setting in the player. Most players have a setup menu which allows you to set the screen shape and set the formatting for the digital output. Check that to make sure DTS is enabled.

But, if you player has an internal converter and 6 channel output- switching your receiver to 6 channel in should give you the DTS feed from the player. I'm not sure if above you meant that you tried this, and the receiver said DD-- but since it's not a digital feed it has no way of knowing the input format on the 6 analog lines.

-Vince

4. Tommy_C

Tommy_C Stunt Coordinator

Well dug deep in the DVD player manual and found a setup wizard that was never run and seems to play now. Thank you both for your input.

TC

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Thinking back I can see how this could happen. Many and probably myself had to experience this in the past. Glad your cookin now.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If your receiver was defaulting to DPL/PL II, most likely the problem was that the digital out was configured for PCM rather than bitstream. The reason I say that is, you will typically get no sound if you have DTS turned off in the DVD player's menu. Just in case this ever comes up again.