"Seems Like Old Times" aired on TCM tonight...full frame and edited!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicholas Vargo, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    At 12:00 A.M Eastern/9:00 P.M Pacific this evening, TCM aired "Seems Like Old Times". I had planned to record it, but after Robert Osbourne's fantastic introduction, the movie started and I was shocked to see that the film was presented MAR. I figuired, I could live with that, but 10 minutes into the film, I realized that the film was edited for television and I stopped recording it.

Now, if this was the only print that TCM could get in time, I understand (This happened when "Foul Play" first played on TCM last year). However, there is a widescreen version of this film on DVD and there should be no excuse for why they had a MAR presentation edited for television on TCM. This is the channel known for "Uncut and commercial free" films. Will future airings of this film on TCM be in MAR as well, or do you think the film will eventually be shown widescreen? What do you think?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Well, they have little control over what prints they get from other studios. MGM is kind enough to send OAR for the films in their library...Paramount and Universal usually do the same thing. (Like a 2.35:1 print of The Odd Couple!)

What is odd...Columbia gave TCM an uncut and letterboxed The Blue Lagoon while The China Syndrome was an old TV print (unmatted). Go figure.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Yup, Patrick's right. I don't this is a sign of bad things to come. They air what they have availiable to them. The only difference is, AMC requests anything (with a preference to P&S) while TCM specifically requests OAR.