Seemless Branching questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Cunningham, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham Stunt Coordinator

I recently upgraded my copy of Terminator 2: Judgement Day to the Ultimate Edition... and was most pleased with the seemless branching used to present the three versions of this film.
    (1) Why is this feature not used more often? It would have been perfect to present all versions on the latest Apocalypse Now release.
    (2) Which titles currently implement seemless branching? Maybe it's more prevalent than I realize.

2. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

The Abyss SE uses the same technology.

3. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

I think the reason it is not used much is because it must be very hard to implement it. I don't think it's as simple as just branching off at any random point. You have to pick the scene you want the disc to branch off at, and then backtrack until the best moment, when the bit-rate is the lowest to be able to create a seamless effect. I'm not sure if this is exactly the case, but I am pretty sure that it's the authoring that's the problem. Independence Day also uses this feature.

4. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

I think it's mostly a desire by the filmmakers. I mean, they could probably incorporate deleted scenes with the film, but I can't imagine a single director who would be willing to do this simple because they have spent oh so many hours of editing the film to what it is.

5. Thomas Agermose

Thomas Agermose Stunt Coordinator

Thomas Agermose Jensen
    I think Artisan's Stargate also uses seamless branching.

6. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

You also have to take the sound into account to create seamless music transitions etc...

Guess it takes much time and work to do properly.

7. TSOLfan

TSOLfan Auditioning

A lot of Buena Vista titles use seamless branching in combination with the various audio tracks, hence the inability to switch audio tracks on the fly with a number of Buena Vista titles.

Try loading up From Dusk Til Dawn with the French audio track, and you will noticed a new title screen, Nightmare Before Christmas does the same, and there are a number of others.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

I think many people will be asking themselves this question about the up coming Lord of the Rings:FOTR dvd,...

10. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Well there are some audio dropouts for T2 I seem to remember and my copy even has a card inside saying 'your player might not play this' or words to that effect.
    Moreover, the R2 version cannot perform this branching maneouvre because apparently the seamless branching facility in America was fully booked or something. [​IMG]
    It basically sounds very complicated and not a little likely to fail to work fully on all players.
    Finally there is the question of music. Apparently branching could not be used with Aliens in part due to the way the score would have to work on the different versions.

11. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

The Die Hard SE also has seamless branching of the power shutdown to the tower scene. However unlike most of the others they did not match the picture quality to the main film. It seems Fox use the feature most often.

The problem with T2 in Europe was the rights holders Momentum use a German authoring company who can't handle seamless branching, they spend a year deciding this, hence the long wait. The UK Fox titles do keep seamless branching not sure if these are authored in the UK or US.

One to look out for is the R2 Robocop SE due next week which has seamless branching to add the extra gore of the unrated cut (as in the Criterion version). Not really seamless however as although they are blended in the scenes which happen near the start of the film are stored on the other layer (at the end of the film), so early reviews say their is a noticeable layer change pause.

12. Morgan Holly

Morgan Holly Agent

Most authoring systems do not support seamless branching. The only system I know of that will is the Panasonic system which is both costly and klunky.

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

For those of you who may not be aware, Morgan is the managing director of a DVD facility in LA. and a distinguished producer of DVD and LD special editions. He knows whereof he speaks.

M.

14. Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham Stunt Coordinator