Seeking upgrade advice on a receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-G, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Currently, I have a Technics SH-AC500D DD/dts decoder but I'm considering an upgrade to a Yamaha RX-V1200.
    I have Klipsch Reference Series speakers. I realize that the Yamaha is capable of DTS-ES and Pro Logic II, but is Yamaha going to be a worthwhile upgrade?
    Any information will be greatly appreciated!
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
    AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

3. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Denon AVR2802, STACKS UP VARY FAVORABLY AGAINST RXV1200...I sell both lines

4. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I'm running my Denon 2802 with Klipsch and can tell you this a great combination.

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I have heard that the new yamahas are much less "bright" than the older ones...I have also heard that the Klipsch Reference speakers were toned down a little in the highs...anyone know about this?

6. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I found the Denon 3802 receiver online for $735. Is that a reasonable price?
    Will this be a significant upgrade from the Technics? I don't know much about Technics and I'm wondering--what is the opinion of the SH-AC500D?
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

7. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Tom: I can highly recommend the 3802 & the price you mentioned is excellent. Read other posts about buying from non-authorized vendors....I took a chance and got mine from MoreAudioVideo, but other people had mixed results from them.
    I had a yamaha 795 & 995 with Klipsch speakers at one time. The sound was bright, but this was more of a characteristic than a negative. I've since gone with Mission speakers and Denon receivers...the 3300 and now the 3802. I'm really pleased with the set up now, especially with the addition of the 2 rear center speakers. I was considering the Yamaha, as I occasionally miss my 995, but felt the price for the Denon was too good to pass up.
    ------------------
    DVD's
    HT Pic's

8. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Tom -- I urge you to be cautious. For some, it is not worth the headache of having to deal with an online dealer when something goes wrong. If you do purchase online, buy from an authorized dealer with a *strong* return/defective purchase policy. Otherwise, I recommend a traditional B&M purchase. Weigh the savings against the risk.
    Having said that, I purchased online from authorized dealers and saved -- I'm not kidding -- $1,800. This is a discount no authorized B&M dealer was even willing to discuss. I would have accepted $200 to $250 difference to buy from them, but no go.
    ------------------
    Best, Sam

9. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Thank you for the advice!
    The website that I plan on ordering from is www.audiosound.com
    Any experiences with them?
    ------------------

10. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Tom -- If you're interested in purchasing from them, send an email asking about their return policy. There is a link called "Info" that describes who they are, liabilities, &c. They state clearly that they are a broker and not an authorized dealer.
    Look for similar disclosures on other online retailers whom you are interested in. Send emails or call if you have questions. You can also call the local (i.e. local to them) consumer board to ask about complaints.
    ------------------
    Best, Sam

11. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Title; Risk of Loss Title to goods herein being purchased is retained by the seller until goods are paid for by the purchaser and at that time title passes to the purchaser. Loss or damage that occurs during shipping by a carrier selected by Customer is Customer's responsibility. Title to software will remain with the applicable licensor(s).
    Export Sales If goods herein being purchased are being purchased for purposes of export, the Customer must obtain from the federal government certain export documentation before shipping to a foreign country. In addition, manufacturers' warranties for exported goods may vary or even be null and void for goods exported outside the United States. The Customer should inquire further regarding any questions. Any and all liability is only for the products purchased.
    General Legal Disclaimer AUDIOSOUND.COM HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THIS DISCLAIMER BY AUDIOSOUND.COM IN NO WAY AFFECTS THE TERMS OF THE MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY, IF ANY.
    Off their site...
    These people sound a little shaky to me Id be cautious. I am looking to purchase the Denon 2802 here soon as well.
    Check these guys out. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/reliableav/denavnewmodi2.html
    The EC
    The Entertainment Cave
    "Remember, if you can't be polite to our guest you have to sit at the kiddies table."