seeking tips on how to conquer the treadmill...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i've recently decided to get my act together and start using the tredmills at my apartment complex.

they're your basic model with preprogrammed routines, automated incline, etc.

since i've never really taken exercise seriously, i'm not sure how to approach this to my best benefit.

the only thing i currently do is try not to eat right before and do some simple stretching and warm-up. i'll stretch for a few minutes, then hit the tread at low-speed for about 3-4 more minutes.

some questions i have:
    1. is there a particular type of food i should eat pre/post workout?
    2. how long should i be running? i'm currently going about 30 mins at a "fast walk".
    3. is there any special footwear i should use? i'm just using some k-swiss sneakers.
    4. is there any special technique i should use when running? breathing methods, etc...[/list=1]

i understand that i need to slowly build up to this and i'm okay with that. i'm not looking to run a marathon next week or anything. i suppose i'm mostly concerned about my cardio.

anyway, any comments, suggestions, etc are most welcome!

thanks in advance!

2. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Try "cycle" workouts... Start out walking, get warmed up, and then run for say a minute and half - max speed, full incline you can do.
    Then go back to walking till you can catch your breath.
    Repeat for the duration of workout.
    (You do warm-up and cool-down, right? :b )
    Also, you could (depending on your age) spend more time on weights than aerobics. Both help, and anaerobics is better if you want to get in shape quicker and keep off the weight. We men are lucky in that sense - women don't have nearly enough muscle to gain as much as we do from weights.
    (But they have boobies! :b [​IMG] )
    Damn i have to get back to the gym - there's just never any time! [​IMG]

3. Mark Larson

You should down a protein shake or something nutritious (like a banana or other fruit) that's quickly absorbed 10-15 mins after workout. This helps by giving your body glucose that would otherwise be drawn from your muscles.

No special footwear is required, and if you are only walking, you can even go bare-feet! (Helps keep your feet straight and strengthens supporting ligaments.)

How old are you? How much do you weigh? Are you in okay shape (beer gut is "okay" if you're above 30 but not more than that)

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks mark -
    i was surprised to get a response...i figure any forum where the number one activity is sitting on the couch and watching movies wasn't going to get much of a response! [​IMG]
    i'm 33, about 150lbs. i'm in pretty good physical shape (i think)...i don't have a beer gut or anything like that. i suppose most people would categorize me as relatively skinny.
    i am doing basic warm-up/warm-down stuff plus some stretching.
    i'll take your advice on the fruit after working out...that makes sense.
    the reason i ask about the shoes is that after about 20 minutes on the tread, my shins start to hurt a little. i think they may be shin-splints (sp?), but i'm not sure. i was just wondering if my walking technique was incorrect.
    i'm basically walking fast enough to build up a decent sweat, but that's about it for now.
    i think i'll try your "cycle" workout too...see how that goes.
    thanks again!

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Sounds like shin splints to me:
    http://www.sports-medicine.com/pgshins.htm
    Also, shows how one should wrap it with an ace bandage. However, you can save time by buying an alasticided form that you can slide on and off if you don't want to spend time taping your feet/shins.
    You can find them at most sports stores or stores that specialize in running.
    Jay

6. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Washingtonpost.com has online chats with a fitness / powerlifting coach on tuesdays, yesterday somebody wrote in this about shin splints:

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks for the info guys. that was helpful.
    i do have a tendency to bounce when i walk...it's so prevalent that people sometimes call me "tigger".
    i wonder if i'll need to modify that? only problem is i've been walking that way my whole life...could be hard to change now.
    they also have one of those machines where you slide your feet back and forth. it also has handles. the only problem is i don't think i'm coordinated enough! [​IMG] but it does appear to be a no-impact type workout.
    thanks again!

8. Mark Larson

9. Mark Larson

Oh, and running is probably THE most high-impact exercise you can do in the gym... [​IMG]

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Those sliding machines and hand things are known as Nordic-Track type machines. The so-called name brand is "Nordic Track" and they sell some nice wood models but they are pricey. However there are alot of knockoffs on the same concept. My parents have one and they're a bit awkward at first to get the coordination down, unless you're a X-C skiier but after 15 minutes, you should have no problem with the coordination. And the real Nordic Track ones have a pillow that rests on your waistline that helps get you initiated to the timing.

Funny story about the Nordic Track is that my parents ordered one from a store nearby and since it was like christmas time, the store was really busy. Apparently when the attendent filled out the sales receipt, we had it delivered by the store, somehow something was amiss because we got delivery of the unit (it was like a $600 model) one day and then all of a sudden, the next day, the UPS truck came by and dropped off another one of the same exact model!!!. We weren't charged either so apparently, the store's bookkeeping must of been messed up that we got one from the store and another one directly from Nordic Track!!! Buy one get one free! We gave that one to my sister..

Anyway, the nordic track is a good calorie burning and good for some upper body workout, in addition to the legs. Shouldn't have problems with shin splints and what's great about it versus the treadmill is that it's fairly quiet, which means you can watch TV, listen to music, etc, rather than having a super loud treadmill. It's not silent and you do have rewax the skiis just like a normal ski but it's a good workout..

Jay

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey jay -
    that thing isn't a nordic trac. i've stayed up late way too often not to have seen those pesky commercials. [​IMG] but, now that you mention it, it's pretty similar.
    on this thing, the feet slide back and forth, but also up and down. kind of like a smooth stair-stepping motion (but it's not a step machine). it's also got all that electronic programmed stuff - different terrains, etc.
    but, i agree with your assessment about the shin-splints. i think i may go try to use it today (as long as no one else is around...heaven forbid i look like an idiot and some hottie comes walking in). [​IMG]

13. Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt Stunt Coordinator

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think so bill. it does have a stationary handle right in the center, and the side handles (which attach at the base of the machine) do appear to move in synch with the pedals.

i was kind of fudging around with it and trying to figure out how to program it...it's got like six different things you have to setup before you can run it. good grief...

anyway, considering the lunch i just ate i'm definitely gonna hit the gym tonight!