Seeking Suggestions on Cassette Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Wiedner, Aug 31, 2002.

1. John Wiedner

John Wiedner Auditioning

I am looking to add a audio cassette player and need some suggestions. It is going to be used mainly for capturing voice/music to a home computer for conversion to CD. I need it to be rack mountable and have a "real time tape counter display" or something equivalent (not an index counter). A dual or single well player will work. I'm hoping to spend less than $300.

Suggestions?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Are you using tapes that already exist? If you're recording new material for the computer then why not go directly into the sound card? Most sound cards have a decent quality line in.

I think that the best days of tape are behind us. I have an old mid-80s Nakamichi CR-1A that needs service (I think it needs a new motor) that I'd sell you for cheap but you'd have to get it fixed. It would be better than most anything on the market today (except high end and professional decks). I've had good experience with Sony tape decks, I have a very nice ES unit right now in my office.

3. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

Anyone have any experience using a DCC deck's AD converter to transfer the analog compact cassette to a computer featuring a digital input?

4. MitchS

MitchS Auditioning

John-

I have something that ALMOST fills your bill. It's a mint Teac C1 rack mountable single well deck with an external slim silouette rack mountable dbx noise reduction unit. Unfortunately, the deck does not have a real time counter. Haven't used them in years but they're in excellent condition. If you are interested, let me know and I can send pix and more info. I'll make ya' a really good deal.

Mitch Slater

5. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I'm thinking of a new casssette deck too, because I don't want to be in the situation of those looking for decent moderately priced turntables now (ie, hundreds of LPs [or tapes] and no means of playing them.)

Turntables started disappearing from stores, when, in the late 1980's?

But if I can ever understand all the technology, there is much in my tape and LP collection that I'd like to edit into unique CD compilations, via a computer.

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

John W., you can send the L/R play out from your cassette player (or headphone jack if using a cassette walkman) into the Line In on your computer's sound card and then use a program to record a WAV of the incoming signal and use it to edit the WAV to clean up the hiss, and other glitches. I did this for two cassette tapes that I know don't exist on CD and it worked out well considering the source and the budget equipment I was using.

I also took an old tape that I knew I had a few of its songs already in MP3 format from one of my CDs. I ripped the tape and compared and it convinced me that I'm better off just upgrading whatever tapes I still like to CD. I compared the casssette playing in the cassette player to the MP3 as well as the ripped cleaned up WAV of the cassette to the MP3 and the difference was like VHS to DVD. The ripped/cleaned up WAV sounded second best with the native cassette player coming in last. Perhaps with a higher end cassette deck and a better sound card, the tapes would sound better but for me, it's just not worth it to go this route. I'd rather pay $8-9 for used CD copies of my favorite cassette tapes.

cheers,

--tom

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    John,

I’m with Mitch; Teac is probably your best bet. Rack-mounted decks are hard to come by, as are mic inputs, so a pro audio deck is your best bet. Other decks in that vein you might consider are Namamichi’s MR-1 and MR-2. Yamaha has also made pro decks in the past that can be had from time to time on ebay. All these decks are typically available for under $200.

Alternately, if you get a 2-space rack mounted shelf, any deck can be used.

Regarding the real-time counters, they are a mixed blessing. Since there is no time code imbedded in the taped signal (as with VCRs), they only track time on playback or record. If you hit FF or REW, the counter does not follow.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt