Seeking suggestions for multi channel amps <$750 US.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jack x, May 22, 2002.

1. jack x

jack x Stunt Coordinator

HI All,

I am a March reservationist for the Outlaw 950 pre/pro. As are many other HTF’ers, I am also in need of a multi-channel amp. I am seeking suggestions for multi channel amps less than $750 US. I am currently looking to get a 5 channel amp and these are on my list as of now:

ROTEL RMB 1075
    ACURUS A125x5
    ADCOM GFA-7400 5-Channel 100-wpc
    Parasound 5x 85 wpc.

I have listed these in descending order of typical prices that I have seen for these units.

I have seen the Parasounds going for

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Marantz MM9000 5 channel 150wpc THX Ultra certified

I don't own one but mentioned it because it is in your price range.

3. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Jack,I bought the GFA-7400 at my dealer who was getting out of seperates.I got it for $560 inc. a 6 year warranty.Made a good Denon receiver sound a lot better.I'm very happy with it,especially for the $.

4. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

Great deals going now on those Parasound amps at ubid! I've not heard any of the three but did just buy a Sherwood AM9080 that I really like, and also easily fits your budget. I scanned audiogon for a couple weeks looking for the right amp and am very happy with the Sherwood. Others on my short list were Rotel and Adcom. The acurus was a little more than I wanted to spend and the Parasound was a little underpowered for me.

5. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

6. jack x

jack x Stunt Coordinator

Gordon, Wayne, Brian, John:

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I will look into the Marantz unit.

Glad to hear the positive ADCOM feedback.

I'll have to research the AMC amp that is for sale.
    ------

7. jack x

jack x Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

Further to my request for recommendations for 5 channel amps, can anyone explain what the importance of the "dampening factor" and "S/N ratio" mean in relation to multi-channel power amplifiers? I have seen "dampening factors" ranging from 100 to 400. I have seen S/N ratios from 90db to >115db.

Also, what about the input sensitivity?

I am wondering how important when comparing the specifications of amplifiers.

Lastly, I haven't seen many amps that have double the RMS output at 4ohms as at 8 ohms. typical seems to be about 50% more watts output at 4ohms. eg. 100 watts rms @ 8 ohms; 150 watts @ 4 ohms.

Thanks again!
    Jack

8. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Jack,

Doubling into 4 ohms is just marketing BS. 90% of amps (monos to 5 channel) will exhibit ~ 1.55 - 1.75 ratios in LAB TESTS (ie, same distortion into 8 and 4 ohms); I don't really care about mfg specs.

I think a damping factor over 100-200 is fine for most speakers and systems.

I have a MINT parasound 1205a for sale (email me if interested).

Ricky

9. Tung Enkhych

Tung Enkhych Extra

do all of the above amps use Torroidal transformers or do some use E-core(etc.)??????
    I seem to remember that some flagship rcvrs use toroids and some do not(Elite 49?)....
    Given that the pre-pro part of a rcvr doesn't take much current ,I would like to see current draw specs on some of these amps vs that of flagship rcvrs...anyone have this info?

10. jack x

jack x Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Ricky T and Tung for your replies!

RickyT or anyone else- can you explain what the dampening factor means with regard to amp specs? I have seen some 2-channel Rotel amps with dampening factors from 500-1000.

Also, can anyone explain what the S/N ratio actually means in regards to an amplifier? Again the Rotel amps seem to have some of the higher ratios I've seen.

Thanks!
    Jack