What's new

seeking suggestion for DVD player with... (1 Viewer)

JoshR

Agent
...these features:

1) It needs to play +R/RW.

2) Excellent video quality, but progressive scan isn't neccesary.

3) I'd really like to search smoothly. I think the biggest advantage VCRs have over DVD is that in general, they scan smoothly by default(analog being a continous medium, not binary info spread all across a disc). Still, I think some DVD players are capable of smooth FF and RW, right? Anyone know which ones? It's a tough feature to search for. I tried. :)

4) Silver is my preferred color.

I don't need a multidisc unit, SACD, DVD-A, or progressive scan, so I'd rather not pay for those features if I can get a player without them. Not likely, I know...

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Josh, it helps if you tell the membership what your research thus far has yielded in terms of interesting models. And, at this time, just about any machine worth discussing is progressive-scan. As for smooth scanning, since I hardly ever use the function (in fact, I never use it) it's not something I can comment on.

JoshR

Agent
Yeah, I know that almost all models these days have progressive scan. I mentioned that it was unneccesary not so much because I actually thought I could find what I wanted without it, but more so that if someone had a suggestion, they wouldn't rule it out for not having that feature.

My research thus far has shown me that the smooth scan feature is on most Sony players, and has been for a while. I knew it used to be, but for some reason I thought they'd removed it. Nope. They call it...get ready..."Smoothscan". ;)

I think I'll be getting the DVP-NC655. I'll post my thoughts after I play with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks