seeking some advice.. =)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Van.L, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Van.L

Van.L Auditioning

Hi, im just stuck on a little dilemma, I own a JBL 18” 1800 Gti 1000watt subwoofer and would like to buy a plate amp module to power it under HT conditions (movies/music) I also own a sony VPH-1271QM CRT projector... now my dilemma.. should i buy a 500watt RMS@4ohm plate amp to power the sub and not buy a line doubler for my CRT projector.. or should i compromise with a 350watt @ 4ohm plate amp module to power the sub AND GET a line doubler... the thing is i dont have much money so it would be either one of the two choices only unless justified =)). So should i compromise and get the 350 watt module with the line doubler?? Or forget the line doubler and get the 500watt plate module?? Any reason on your decision would be great =)) if you need any details for anything then ask away =)
    Thanks in advance.
    Van.
    :b [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Greg Foan

Greg Foan Stunt Coordinator

What's your budget? Are you computer savy? If you have an old PIII around, or can buy one cheap, you can turn it into an HTPC which will make a fantastic scaler / line doubler. Unless you have a desire to make your ears hemorrahage or sustain a concussion, I would think the 350 watt amp should do the trick.

Regards,

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I don't think this belongs in Audio/Video Sources. I will place in Display Devices/TV's/Projectors since the real issue is regarding the line doubling of your crt projector and if there is enough left for the amp, right?

4. Van.L

Van.L Auditioning

Hi Greg! =)
    Thanks for the reply, welp i have around $550au to spend, and i can get the 500rms plate amp for around that price. which is roughly the cost of the other two items..
    I was thinking of doing a HTPC =)since i do have a comp laying around. =) (im a bit of a puter nut as well) humm soo then one needs to get a wireless KB and Mouse too.. mmm i will make the HT room HTPC ready incase of any upgrades, im also currently building a new home with a dedicated HT room =).
    Anyhow perhaps the 350 watt plate amp and the line doubler should do the trick eh? =) but its always good to have your "ears hemorrhaging and a concussion or two" =)

Thanks for reading and writing back Greg. =)

Van.