Seeking Opinions on Paradigm Monitor Series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor_J, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

Hi all,
    I just sold my existing speaker set and I'm now in the market for a new set of speakers. I'm considering the Paradigm Monitor series. Specifically the Monitor 5's for front, the CC-370 for center channel duties and the ADP-370 for surround sound. Does anyone have experience (opinions) with any of the speakers in this package?

TIA.

2. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

My apologies, I thought I was in the Speakers forum.

Admin, pls. move. Thanks.

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Trevor:
    I recently upgraded to the Monitor 5's (v.2), the cc-370, and some mini-monitors for the rear. Rounding out the system is an Outlaw 1050 receiver and an SVS 20-39PCi sub. Regarding the Paradigm Monitors, I listened to as much stuff as I could find (locally, anyway) for under about $800 and really was most satisfied with the 5's. I've changed my system about four times in the past several years, and one thing I love about Paradigm is that their speakers seem to consistently sound as good or better in my home as they do in the showroom. In the monitor line, the 5's sounded superior to me than the other models (most notably the 7's, which some people go for over the 5's to save the cost of stands). My ears seem to prefer a larger bookshelf, two-way speaker with a sub instead of a three-way floorstanding pair. I read an article that described the 5's as one of the best kept secrets in audio, and I have to say that it appears to be true. I said this once before in a post and was told the comment hit home, so I'll say it again: This is the first time I can ever remember being completely content with my mains, without as much as a second thought about upgrading. I have to say that one of the main reasons I'm so satisfied with the 5's, though, is my SVS sub. The 5's do exactly what I need them to do, and then hand it over to the SVS to do the rest. There are certainly other choices in the same price range as the 5's, but I would be confident saying that you would be very happy with these speakers if you went this direction.

4. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Another speaker you may want to consider is the Axiom m22ti. I have not heard them since I have nowhere to demo them, but seems like many people are very satisfied with them. They have reviewed well and are priced slightly less than the Paradigm 5's.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  6. Cooper_B

Cooper_B Agent

I have the Mini Monitor Series 1 (they're up to series 3 by now), and I love them. Right now, I have a stereo-only setup, because I do about 95% music, 5% movies, and these speakers are perfect. Blended with a Velodyne CT-120 without a hi-pass xover, CDs sound very real. Basically, they've given me a chance to really listen without being distracted. Very even frequency response and detailed all the way to the high treble.
    They're so detailed that I've replaced the CD player, speaker cables, and interconnects at different times because things sounded bright or congested (the replaced components were all cheapos). Now that things are right, good recordings just sound natural, average recordings sound detailed, and poor recordings make me realize how easily spoiled I am. [​IMG]
    I am amazed at how well these babies handle high volume, even without a xover. Still, I'd guess that the Monitor 5's have a more detailed midrange, since the double-driver config produces the same volume with less effort.
    Oh and if you get a new pair, be warned that they take tens of hours to break in. Before they break in, you will get less bass and a harsh tweeter.
    -Cooper

7. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I just auditioned a set of Monitor 5's and the CC-370 for a friend of mine (who then ended up buying them last week).
    Quite frankly, I was extremely impressed with the quality and sound from these speakers, especially the CC-370. We watched scenes from LOTR, and the dialogue was so crystal clear it was astounding. I was also impressed with the frequency range of the CC-370; it seemed to boast some pretty nice bass when it needed to. We tried the 5's and the 3's, and he went with the 5's.
    We ended up pairing these with absolutely rock solid stands, which you may want to consider.
    Rich

8. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's very encouraging. I finally found a dealer semi-local that had a setup similar to what I am considering. The only difference is that he was using the mini monitors for surround instead of the ADP-370's I'm considering. I was EXTREMELY pleased with what I heard using music and movies as the source.

Not one to rush to judgement, I will be going out to another local dealer to listen to so PSB speakers in the same price range.

9. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

When I was auditioning speakers, it came down to the Monitor 5's and 7's, for my price range.

Though the sound is obviously very similar, I found the 7's had a little better bass response (but this was just to my ears, your mileage may vary)

The kicker was, even though the 7's were more expensive, they were about the same as a set of Monitor 5's and a good set of stands. In my case, going to the 7's was a no brainer, a floor model with a little better bass response, for the price of the 5 and good stands.

For me, the choice was easy, but as usual, everybody has different taste (or you may not even want floor standers)

10. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

Actually, I'm looking for a bookshelf type speaker since I will be building a dedicated HT in a few months and plan on mounting the speakers high beside the screen in a false wall (hidden with speaker cloth). I listened to the Monitor 7's as well and they did sound like they extended a bit deeper than the 5's but my use will be 99.5% HT so the lower extension isn't that important to me as I will have 2 SVS' for that task :-D.